Foliage Report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things were really popping in Vermont this weekend. A bit hazy on Saturday, but Sunday was spectacular. Great reds and yellows, still green in some places. By next weekend we should be in full swing the Green Mountains! Let's hope for great weather.

hills700_zps8a4342cd.jpg

View from Mt Hunger, Vermont on September 27, 2014

As others indicated, Franconia Notch area was pretty much peak last weekend. I was there Sunday Sep 28 for sunset on Bald Mountain.

Northeast Kingdom of Vermont was looking close to peak too last Sunday the 28th, specifically the Lake Willoughby area.

Took a drive on the Kanc with the family yesterday Thursday Oct 2 and things are changing. The rain/wind from earlier this week seems to have created some areas of leaf drop already, especially in the higher elevations along the Kanc. Even Lincoln Woods area trails had a lot of leaves down on trail, the maples and birches in particular. So I would say peak has arrived, and is now going to work its way towards past. Still plenty of foliage to be seen for sure in the Whites for this weekend, as many pockets should look peak, but there is heavy rain moving in Saturday evening that will knock a lot down.

If you are waiting for Columbus day weekend for the whites, brace yourself for mostly bare trees!

Areas south of the whites are looking nice too right now including the Plymouth/Campton area. Even lakes region away from the lakes such as Belmont, NH is close to peak. The areas around the lakes themselves tend to turn later. Concord, NH has a lot of color change too.

Here are a few photo’s below from Sunday Sep 28. I have bunch more in my 2014 fall section if you want some visual references, and will put up a few from the Kanc yesterday 10/2 at some point today.

IMG_7422-1.JPG

Alpenglow on Franconia Ridge and Cannon

IMG_7444-3%2Bdarker%2B4800k.JPG

Peak Alpenglow for the evening Garfield is pointy one on left, the northern slopes of Lafayette and the Pemi peaks had the most peak foliage

IMG_7291-3%2B5600%2Bk%2Bsat%2B4.JPG

View from Mt. Pisgah cliff over Lake Willoughby in Northeast Kingdom, awesome unique place to check out if ever tired of peak bagging

Can't wait to get up there and enjoy some of this. Is it just me, or is this happening early this year? I usually come up mid-October for foliage.

Seemed just a bit past peak to me, driving through Franconia Notch today (10/3). I think last weekend was probably the best as far as the color. There is still plenty of color, and nice pockets of it around.

I think it's a bit early this year. I usually consider Columbus day or possibly the week before to be peak in the Pemi area. I did the Kilkenny the weekend after Columbus day 2 yrs ago (that would have been Oct. 12-14) and it was maybe just barely past peak. I got the magical snow-on-red-leaves visual that year. I suspect it'll all be bare up that way by Oct 10 this year.

Based on hiking Tecumseh from Tripoli Road today, I would say Waterville Valley is past peak now. The reds are gone. Still a lot of yellows and oranges up and the forest floor and trail is covered with bright nature-confetti, so still plenty of color even if some is underfoot now.

Past peak in Grafton Notch yesterday with most sugar maples down and lots of leaves on the trail - but still beautiful.