Foliage Report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Hi All...just looking for a foliage report for the Adirondacks and White Mountain Regions.
Leaves must be starting to change, right?
Peak colors before September out you think?
Thanks.
Chris

on mt adams just just starting to change slightly..some reds were out as u got up higher

I may be an early season this autumn. Some reds are starting to come out in the ADKs and a few sugar maples are getting themselves worked up.

Smattering of sugar maples, along marshes and swamps, from Concord through Lincoln. This from summit of Pemigewasset, foggy/misty/hazy...but you get the picture.

SAM_0549.JPG

Anyone have an idea if there would be decent color up far north (ie Dixville Notch, NH or Pittsburg, NH) by this upcoming weekend sep 20? Anybody live up that way?

Anyone have an idea if there would be decent color up far north (ie Dixville Notch, NH or Pittsburg, NH) by this upcoming weekend sep 20? Anybody live up that way?

A few trees in the Waterville area were turning, and the dark greens are fading to light greens with a tint of yellow, so I image going further north you'll start to see some nicer colors. Enough to get me excited for fall. :)

There's a smattering of red in the seacoast now, a few leaves on my run Sunday. Winter is coming...

I haven't been up that way for some time, but when I was up there in October 2010 on Columbus Day weekend the leaves were looking fantastic. Also, my wife's parents are out in Estes Park and say the Aspen are looking gorgeous. Hope that helps you out!

Here is the view from Pittsburg last night just before sunset. I think we are still at least a week from really nice color in the CT lakes.

m0106.jpg

Hard frost this AM so that will help move things along. If you have to go this weekend I would stick to the higher elevations for best color.

VT

Vermonster-- Thanks for the update, exactly what I was hoping for. I also found this webcam here with a view of 1st Connecticut Lake in Pittsburg, NH. I figured it would still be basically green now. I had heard some hype about things turning earlier this year, but don't think its true. This weekend doesn't look like anything worthwhile foliage wise.

Greg YEAH! Look out your window buddy! At least you didn't tell me about what the foliage is like around Heinz Field.

"Greg YEAH! Look out your window buddy! At least you didn't tell me about what the foliage is like around Heinz Field"

Everything around Heinz Field is looking a little blue.

There was a major change in leaf color in the northern Presis in the last few days . My trees went from being green on Friday to fall colors by today. This upcoming weekend will be the one for the northern whites.

I hiked the Twins yesterday from the north, driving up route 93 on my way. In Franconia Notch, the season suddenly got under way, with splashes of color on a green background. Along route 3 north of the notch, there were sections of full color. Late in the day as the clouds lifted, I got some views to the north, and the valleys were more red than green.
I would say the Kank will be a lovely red-and-green motley by this weekend, and anything north of the notches should be in full swing. The weather forecast in the meantime looks ideal; cool nights, sunny and calm days.

PS: Watch out for moose on the roads at night!

Last edited:
We hiked skookumchuck to north Lafayette and below the red maples were peaking and falling off the trees along with birches. Things appeared in full color up there today. Beautiful!

If not Peak, it's close and progressing quickly in the greater Franconia area.

From Lafayette Place to Kinsman Pond it was gorgeous Saturday. The west side of Lonesome Lake was a standout in the late morning, as were the brilliant yellow birches pretty well throughout the hike. The alpenglow painting Franconia Ridge a pale orange was spectacular around 6:15 at Lonesome Lake on the return trip. One of the prettiest days I've ever seen, and the trails were packed - I heard it was like a conga line across the notch.

Some pics:

Birches about 3/4 the way up to the Lake:

1601459_10205196491214813_9190539783059783602_n.jpg

Walking the planks on Lonesome's west side:

10312715_10205196496174937_6633351370952225678_n.jpg

Cannon Ball-F Ridge Pano from Around-the-Lake Trail:

10683724_10205196497374967_2853624842587971143_o.jpg

Lafayette and Its Many Walker Brook Ravine Gullies from Across the Lake:

10308271_10205196511455319_2374872571935007522_n.jpg

The Leaves Are Beginning to Fall In Earnest on the Lower Fishing Jimmy:

10696386_10205196540416043_8938789322932481478_n.jpg

The Alpenglow was icing on the cake: