Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any problems with a yard Woodchuck?

any problems with a yard Woodchuck?

we've a 'chuck under the deck. dog knows but is always leashed. any issues that you've heatd of? thanks.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    we've a 'chuck under the deck. dog knows but is always leashed. any issues that you've heatd of? thanks.
    Chip, I had a mother Chuck give birth under my shed last year, the litter was 6. I have an Aussie that goes into my fenced in yard unleashed, yes, it was an epic. I used a have a heart trap, a large one. It took some tinkering, but I found the trick. You cant just load lettuce in the back of the trap, you have to start the lettuce trail outside the trap leading to the mega pile beyond the trip plate. I caught 1 baby a day, they grow fast. The mother took another 3 days or so. relocated all of them 8 miles away near a nice bog. I was told they would come back if you let them out within 5 miles of your home. I have never seen them again, BUT, my dog still looks- lol. Get rid of the chuck, if its a female your problems will GROW!

Woodchucks are very good at undermining, they burrow along the path of least resistance. They also get a craving for salt and on occasion will get up under the hood and gnaw at salt encrusted components in the engine compartment.

There is rarely if ever just one woodchuck. The really can do in garden and once established, its takes a lot to clear them out. Havahart traps work well, but most folks fill up a barrel of water and drown them rather than rereleasing them.

Have one in the back yard. He and the rabbits eat the weeds in the grass. No problems.

Woodchucks often have fleas or other insect parasites on them. Woodchucks can have rabies. Other animals will colonize a vacant woodchuck burrow. I would eliminate a woodchuck living under or close to my house, and do my best to destroy the burrow.

Virtually all animals are territorial. Relocating a woodchuck from your home six miles away probably results in the death of that woodchuck or one to whose territory you relocated the woodchuck to. Also, you run the risk of being bit by a woodchuck that you try to relocate when you move the trap or open the trap to release the woodchuck.

Quote Originally Posted by explorer13421 View Post
    Woodchucks often have fleas or other insect parasites on them. Woodchucks can have rabies. Other animals will colonize a vacant woodchuck burrow. I would eliminate a woodchuck living under or close to my house, and do my best to destroy the burrow.

Virtually all animals are territorial. Relocating a woodchuck from your home six miles away probably results in the death of that woodchuck or one to whose territory you relocated the woodchuck to. Also, you run the risk of being bit by a woodchuck that you try to relocate when you move the trap or open the trap to release the woodchuck.
    Agree. I don't believe in relocation. Thanks.

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

A woodchuck cleaned out my garden one year. He then met " my little friend". No problems since.
    I agree with Ranxerox !!!!

Swampyankee

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Woodchucks are very good at undermining, they burrow along the path of least resistance. They also get a craving for salt and on occasion will get up under the hood and gnaw at salt encrusted components in the engine compartment.

There is rarely if ever just one woodchuck. The really can do in garden and once established, its takes a lot to clear them out. Havahart traps work well, but most folks fill up a barrel of water and drown them rather than rereleasing them.
    Apex herbivore.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

I, like, peacefully coexist with mine... for years... NO garden/minimal lawn/minimal flowers (any more) = more hiking!!!!! YAY!!!!!
    Yay for winter!!!!!

Unleashing the dog seems like the simple solution to me. My terrier keeps my yard and garden free of woodchucks and unwanted rodents.
    Save NH Moose!
    MY BLOG

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    A dog might keep new residents from arriving, but a mother with young might fight back, bite/injure the dog, pass on disease, etc.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    A dog might keep new residents from arriving, but a mother with young might fight back, bite/injure the dog, pass on disease, etc.
    Yeah, the dog is 30lb and the woodchuck is at least that.
    This woodchuck has a great spot carved out up under the back of the deck into the yard slope.
    I've had dogs I would "send in", this puppy isn't one of them.

I don't really mind 1, but I don't want more.

I don't really mind 1, but I don't want more.
    Woodchuck condoms...
    "Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

ADK46: 25/46 W5
    NH48: 26/48 W8

Quote Originally Posted by J.Dub View Post
    Woodchuck condoms...
    so many snappy responses...so little time.

We have one that patrols the neighborhood. You can set your clock by it. It must be well fed as it's the size of a pig.