any problems with a yard Woodchuck?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we've a 'chuck under the deck. dog knows but is always leashed. any issues that you've heatd of? thanks.

Chip, I had a mother Chuck give birth under my shed last year, the litter was 6. I have an Aussie that goes into my fenced in yard unleashed, yes, it was an epic. I used a have a heart trap, a large one. It took some tinkering, but I found the trick. You cant just load lettuce in the back of the trap, you have to start the lettuce trail outside the trap leading to the mega pile beyond the trip plate. I caught 1 baby a day, they grow fast. The mother took another 3 days or so. relocated all of them 8 miles away near a nice bog. I was told they would come back if you let them out within 5 miles of your home. I have never seen them again, BUT, my dog still looks- lol.;) Get rid of the chuck, if its a female your problems will GROW!

Woodchucks are very good at undermining, they burrow along the path of least resistance. They also get a craving for salt and on occasion will get up under the hood and gnaw at salt encrusted components in the engine compartment.

There is rarely if ever just one woodchuck. The really can do in garden and once established, its takes a lot to clear them out. Havahart traps work well, but most folks fill up a barrel of water and drown them rather than rereleasing them.

Have one in the back yard. He and the rabbits eat the weeds in the grass. No problems.

Woodchucks often have fleas or other insect parasites on them. Woodchucks can have rabies. Other animals will colonize a vacant woodchuck burrow. I would eliminate a woodchuck living under or close to my house, and do my best to destroy the burrow.

Virtually all animals are territorial. Relocating a woodchuck from your home six miles away probably results in the death of that woodchuck or one to whose territory you relocated the woodchuck to. Also, you run the risk of being bit by a woodchuck that you try to relocate when you move the trap or open the trap to release the woodchuck.

Woodchucks often have fleas or other insect parasites on them. Woodchucks can have rabies. Other animals will colonize a vacant woodchuck burrow. I would eliminate a woodchuck living under or close to my house, and do my best to destroy the burrow.

Virtually all animals are territorial. Relocating a woodchuck from your home six miles away probably results in the death of that woodchuck or one to whose territory you relocated the woodchuck to. Also, you run the risk of being bit by a woodchuck that you try to relocate when you move the trap or open the trap to release the woodchuck.

Agree. I don't believe in relocation. Thanks.

A woodchuck cleaned out my garden one year. He then met " my little friend". No problems since.

Woodchucks are very good at undermining, they burrow along the path of least resistance. They also get a craving for salt and on occasion will get up under the hood and gnaw at salt encrusted components in the engine compartment.

There is rarely if ever just one woodchuck. The really can do in garden and once established, its takes a lot to clear them out. Havahart traps work well, but most folks fill up a barrel of water and drown them rather than rereleasing them.

Apex herbivore.

I, like, peacefully coexist with mine... for years... :) NO garden/minimal lawn/minimal flowers (any more) = more hiking!!!!! YAY!!!!!

A dog might keep new residents from arriving, but a mother with young might fight back, bite/injure the dog, pass on disease, etc.

A dog might keep new residents from arriving, but a mother with young might fight back, bite/injure the dog, pass on disease, etc.

Yeah, the dog is 30lb and the woodchuck is at least that.
This woodchuck has a great spot carved out up under the back of the deck into the yard slope.
I've had dogs I would "send in", this puppy isn't one of them.

I don't really mind 1, but I don't want more.

We have one that patrols the neighborhood. You can set your clock by it. It must be well fed as it's the size of a pig.

Hi Chip,

I have at least two chucks living near my house. I also have a family of turkeys; mom, dad, and eight youngsters who we see almost every day. On Sunday, a couple of the young bids were following one of the chucks and pecking at his tail. The chuck kept looking over his shoulder at the turkeys with a clear "Get Lost" look on his face. The birds looked more curious than aggressive, while the chuck just wanted to go on with his introverted day. They were comical.

Chucks do have entertainment value, despite the real concerns with having them near your home.

Our woodchuck ate everything except the asparagus and tomatoes in our garden after one weekend away. Neighbors told us there was a mother and at least 4 "children". When we had greyhounds for pets they were not present. I guess they aren't concerned with our pet chicken now. Haven't seen much of them since the the garden was devastated. They were under the shed. Lesson: keep hiking, stop gardening.

Was a NYS Certified Pest Control operator for many years and got out 20 years ago For the past 5 years we have had woodchucks taking up rez under our deck. Over the years, I havahearted 4 out and took them 12 miles away across a river and let them go - all of them nasty. angry. vicious. This year was a change of heart. (and this might offend some...) Duke leg traps and .25 cal to the head of 2 of them. I now leave the Dukes set under the deck, out of the way of dogs. just waiting....

I've got a bunch that have tore up my field real good. I wonder if that is what is killing my lilac tree? (Eating roots maybe?) I try to deal with it since I don't have a vegetable garden but I do worry about the holes and my horses breaking their legs in them.