NH Firetower's List Question- Monroe Hill, Fox Forest, Hillsborough

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you need to reach both the existing tower AND/OR the highpoint for the NH Firetowers list? And where generally is the high point?

I hiked both today, or so I think. The tower is standing and obvious, but obviously not the high point. Since the spreadsheet said "standing + highest point" I went looking for the high point, which I believe is a short distance off the Monroe Hill Trail, not the Ridge Trail. Refer to this topo http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/NH/nh_fox_forest.JPG The bump off the Monroe Hill Trail in white appears highest.

I hiked the Monroe Hill Trail for about .1 or .2 mi after the tower following the land as it got higher, then turned off trail left (west) and bushwhacked a short distance in the woods toward the edge of a logging cut to the highest point.

What is the history of this peak? Was a separate tower once proposed for the technical high point?

Hi John,
We had the same question when we did it on Saturday (see NETC report). We did go to the top of Monroe Hill which is not in the SF and is actually someone's back yard now. From posts on here about the Fire Tower list, the view tower seems to be the "tower", though the site says Monroe Hill and the coordinates agree with the hilltop. Not sure which it is. I know there are others out there (here) with info on this. Maybe clarified in a newer list and we worked off the older version.
Ken

This is previously discussed on VFTT, I have sent EdH 3 different maps showing where the tower was/is but he refuses to fix his list - sound familiar?

If you want to visit another tower site in the area, there was once a tower suitable for climbing by ladies in long dresses located just beyond the old pound in Hillsborough Center.

The Hillsborough Historical Society has photos of this tower, one is included in the photo exhibit currently on display at the NH State Library. The exhibit is normally open 8-4:30 weekdays, but there will be a reception 5-7 next Wednesday. http://www.nh.gov/nhculture/mediaroom/2014/manahan_photography_exhibit.htm

If you are attending the Everest Base Camp lecture, that's just two buildings over. http://concordnh.gov/Calendar.aspx?EID=2021

Thread Hijack

I just saw the advertisement for the Everest Lecture last night at the Library, anyone else going? it would be fun to meet fellow hikers and posters in attendance.

Ken-- I saw your post on NETC, thanks!

So I guess maybe just count climbing the existing tower unless there is some proof of an actual plan to have put a tower on the true summit (hard to call it such)?

The Everest lecture looks interesting but two little ones bedtime routines conflict. Everest being mentioned in a Monroe Hill is kind of funny.