Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tripyramid slide

tripyramid slide

Having hiked up mts Adams,Monroe,Owls Head, and the Caps Ridge,should I feel confident enough to hike up the tripyramid slide solo? I get a little nervous sometimes by some of the things I read on the various blogs & posts.

I will make this simple. You can do it!
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

Agreed. It's one of the more exposed-feeling trails in the Whites but it's no harder than the Owl's Head slide (though it may be longer).

I assume you're asking about the North slide, which is the fun one. The South is just a rubbly slog.

YES. (The response to the right is deemed too short by VFFT so I'll just keep tying here saying nothing...)

When in doubt, keep left

The main concerns for the TRI slide are that it is slabby. If it were raining it would be harder, if it is icey, it is way harder and frankly without the right gear and knowledge it could be very dangerous. On a nice summer day it is over rated by many. As your climbing take your time look for good lines and have fun, its one of my favorite loops in the Whites. North Slide first of course.

Sierra,

Has Buddy done it? Any problems? Gryffin did fine with the Owl's Head Slide...

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Just take you time and have fun.
    What do you mean he don't eat no meat? Ok, I'll do lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineman View Post
    When in doubt, keep left
    I second that!
    "You do things someone else's way and you take your life in your own hands" - Harold Francis Callahan

I found the most difficult scramble on the North Tri slide was pretty near the beginning (bottom) of the slide. If you manage past that without incident, then the rest of the slide should be fine. It has exposure, but it never feels like you're in danger of falling off. It's more of a fun, steady, lots-of-views climb. Look up a lot, to pick a line. Look around a lot, to enjoy the view.
    "People hardly ever make use of the freedom which they have, for example, freedom of thought; instead they demand freedom of speech as a compensation."
    --Soren Kierkegaard, 1838

Biggest risk is the risk imposed by people higher up on the trail letting rocks/pebbles loose. An early start can really reduce this.

For God's sake, don't look down!

But seriously, only ascend north slide and only do it when it's dry. It gets quite slippery when wet.

Also check your map. When you're approaching via Livermore Trail, the first junction with the Tripyramid Trail is the south junction. If you take that (as people often do), you will find yourself ascending the south slide instead of the north.
    I am Geezer; hear me roar!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kittredge View Post
    Also check your map. When you're approaching via Livermore Trail, the first junction with the Tripyramid Trail is the south junction. If you take that (as people often do), you will find yourself ascending the south slide instead of the north.
    Yup - done that before.
    "People hardly ever make use of the freedom which they have, for example, freedom of thought; instead they demand freedom of speech as a compensation."
    --Soren Kierkegaard, 1838

thanks guys,for the encouragement and useful tips. I`m doing the Carters hopefully this wknd. The Tripyramids after that. Then I`d like to tackle the Flume slide after that.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Sierra,

Has Buddy done it? Any problems? Gryffin did fine with the Owl's Head Slide...

Tim
    I'm not Sierra, but I took my dog up the north slide. I wouldn't take her on that trail again. She's a great hiker, very sensible, and knows her limits. She's done tough trails like the Caps ridge, wildcat ridge, and glen boulder and just needed an occasional boost. But the north slide was scary for her. I had to assist her quite a few times, including clipping her leash to her backpack (which doubles as a harness) and hauling her up a slab. After that we just kept to the left!
    She's a 65# Rottweiler who just doesn't have enough mountain goat breeding for sustained 45 degree slopes. A more nimble dog would probably do fine.
    Amy