tripyramid slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
Having hiked up mts Adams,Monroe,Owls Head, and the Caps Ridge,should I feel confident enough to hike up the tripyramid slide solo? I get a little nervous sometimes by some of the things I read on the various blogs & posts.:confused:

Agreed. It's one of the more exposed-feeling trails in the Whites but it's no harder than the Owl's Head slide (though it may be longer).

I assume you're asking about the North slide, which is the fun one. The South is just a rubbly slog.

YES. (The response to the right is deemed too short by VFFT so I'll just keep tying here saying nothing...)

The main concerns for the TRI slide are that it is slabby. If it were raining it would be harder, if it is icey, it is way harder and frankly without the right gear and knowledge it could be very dangerous. On a nice summer day it is over rated by many. As your climbing take your time look for good lines and have fun, its one of my favorite loops in the Whites. North Slide first of course.

I found the most difficult scramble on the North Tri slide was pretty near the beginning (bottom) of the slide. If you manage past that without incident, then the rest of the slide should be fine. It has exposure, but it never feels like you're in danger of falling off. It's more of a fun, steady, lots-of-views climb. Look up a lot, to pick a line. Look around a lot, to enjoy the view.

Biggest risk is the risk imposed by people higher up on the trail letting rocks/pebbles loose. An early start can really reduce this.

For God's sake, don't look down!

But seriously, only ascend north slide and only do it when it's dry. It gets quite slippery when wet.

Also check your map. When you're approaching via Livermore Trail, the first junction with the Tripyramid Trail is the south junction. If you take that (as people often do), you will find yourself ascending the south slide instead of the north.

Also check your map. When you're approaching via Livermore Trail, the first junction with the Tripyramid Trail is the south junction. If you take that (as people often do), you will find yourself ascending the south slide instead of the north.

Yup - done that before. :rolleyes:

thanks guys,for the encouragement and useful tips. I`m doing the Carters hopefully this wknd. The Tripyramids after that. Then I`d like to tackle the Flume slide after that.

Sierra,

Has Buddy done it? Any problems? Gryffin did fine with the Owl's Head Slide...

Tim

I'm not Sierra, but I took my dog up the north slide. I wouldn't take her on that trail again. She's a great hiker, very sensible, and knows her limits. She's done tough trails like the Caps ridge, wildcat ridge, and glen boulder and just needed an occasional boost. But the north slide was scary for her. I had to assist her quite a few times, including clipping her leash to her backpack (which doubles as a harness) and hauling her up a slab. After that we just kept to the left!
She's a 65# Rottweiler who just doesn't have enough mountain goat breeding for sustained 45 degree slopes. A more nimble dog would probably do fine.
Amy

I'm not Sierra, but I took my dog up the north slide. I wouldn't take her on that trail again. She's a great hiker, very sensible, and knows her limits. She's done tough trails like the Caps ridge, wildcat ridge, and glen boulder and just needed an occasional boost. But the north slide was scary for her. I had to assist her quite a few times, including clipping her leash to her backpack (which doubles as a harness) and hauling her up a slab. After that we just kept to the left!
She's a 65# Rottweiler who just doesn't have enough mountain goat breeding for sustained 45 degree slopes. A more nimble dog would probably do fine.
Amy

I brought my 2 dogs up the slide a couple years ago (10lb ChiPin and 8lb Rat Terrier). They did great going up, but did knock a few small rocks loose from time to time. They naturally stayed to the left a bit. The issue for them was going down the South Slide, where they didn't like the larger jumps and landing on loose rock. The beauty of small dogs is we just put them in our packs and kept going and took them out at the bottom of the slide. :)

I have a pretty nimble 60# golden retriever. He did Flume Slide and Owl's Head Slide in the last 2 weeks. He did have trouble on Welch Dickey from braking while running back but he has since gotten better and heeling and I don't call him back on anything too steep.

Tim

I brought Marlie up it and she had no issues. I just kept an eye out to keep her from getting above any of the slick ledges. She probably had an easier time than I did.

I plan to do the Tripyramids next week. According to the WMNF website, parts of the Greeley Ponds and Livermore trails are closed for maintenance. Is that true?

If they are not closed, is it worth it to take the Greeley Ponds trail to Old Skidder out and Livermore back for a change of scenery? or is it not worth the extra distance?

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice!

slide

Sierra,

Has Buddy done it? Any problems? Gryffin did fine with the Owl's Head Slide...

Tim

Hey Tim,
Yes, Buddy has done the slide, he had zero issues with it. I think the South slide was worse, because of the rubbly nature of it, which can be sharp on a dog's feet. Although to this day, I have never found even the smallest cut to his pads. I think what helps my dog on steep climbs, winter and summer, is his nails. My groomer rarely cuts them as we log an average 18 to 20 miles road walking a week, which keeps them filed down. He really uses his claws on rock and ice quite effectively, ( I've seen him standing on steep Blue water ice, with every claw digging in like crampons!:eek:

P.S> On steep terrain our harness leash combo really comes in to play. I've given him tension on steep climbs and that really helps out. Not to mention, I can prevent a fall if I have to. When we descended the ladders on Willey, they were covered in ice, without a leash and harness, I would not have liked that at all.

Last edited: