Lodging or places to crash near berlin NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
(another lodging thread) {I meant Crash not rash - i coulndnt edit the heading}
I'm planning two NEHH hikes for tomorrow (Sunday 9/7/14) and Monday. The two Weeks peaks from York Pond trail , and Goose Eye Mt (Maine) up Goose Eye trail from Carlos Col TH off Success pond Rd. Any suggestions for places to crash the night in between. I was looking at older post and got a few ideas . I'm looking at White Mountain Lodge and Hostel in Shelborne NH (not sure of avacancy yet). but its over an hour drive from either TH. Anything near Berlin which is more centered between the TH would be nice. I'm looking for simple and cheap. I am not opposed to sleeping in the back of my truck if i can find someplace they wont wake me up and make me move. Or I could camp off either trail if there are any good spots permittalble near the trailheads (I dont want to lug my bag and tent the whole day). Also any info on getting to The Goose Mt trails would be appreciated.
Thanks. _ Marvin

Hiker Paradise in Gorham or the Barn are both AT hostels. Just up the road from the White Mountain lodge is a white birches campground that also has a very minimal AT hostel.

These are very basic accommodations, clean is relative.

I am not aware of any commercial spots to stay in Berlin

More than a few folks camp on side roads off of Success Pond Road, it is not typically patrolled. I would not try to camp along York Pond Road.

Milan Hill State Park is not that far way from either trailhead. There are a couple of yurts and tentsites.

The Trailheads off of Success Pond road are generally well marked and the AMC guide supplies mileage from the start of the road. When driving into Berlin from Gorham, look for the Irving gas station on your left (the river is immediately to the right), bear right and go over a bridge over the river. Drive straight to the traffic lights. Go straight towards the stack and then follow the road around the power plant complex. Stay on the main road past the AVRRD landfill entrance and go about 1/2 mile. You will have a large vacant lot on your left and look for "OHRV" parking sign. Take a right on the dirt road and mark down your mileage. Less than a mile into the road you will come to a Tee intersection, bear left and go by the OHRV parking, the follow the road. Part of the road can be very rough and occasionally pieces of old culverts stick up out of the road so watch your speed.

There are local shortcuts in Berlin but for most folks stick to the main roads. RT 110 in Berlin is still under construction so be careful.

Last edited:
Thanks PB. given that, i am leaving earlier and gonna try the weeks sunday so i can sleep off of Success pond rd sunday night (or go back to moose river CG which seems to have plenty of sites and showers - milan doesnt).

Look for Ball Cap Rd. off of Success Pond Rd. Turn onto it but take a left instead of going down Ball Cap. The left goes to Bald Cap (yes, Bald) which is a climbing area. People tent in there all the time.

We hiked Goose Eye and Carlo on Labor Day weekend. IIRC, the trailhead was about 8 miles down Success Pond Road and our drive down the road was about 45 minutes. The sign was easy to see, but we had to stop to read it to be sure we were in the correct place. You walk down the road about 1/2 mile and then the turn off to Goose Eye trail is on the left and well marked. After a short walk through some trees, you come out on another road. Turn left, walk down the road a few hundred feet and then turn off to the right where it's marked to continue on the trail. The trail is in very good shape. If you have time after you summit Goose Eye, take the AT south to Carlo and then come out the Carlo Col trail for a nice loop hike. It's a nice hike with some interesting ladders and rungs and spares you from the really steep downhill if you return the way you came. If you hike out over Carlo, the road walk at the end is a little over a mile. Have fun!

We hiked Goose Eye and Carlo on Labor Day weekend. IIRC, the trailhead was about 8 miles down Success Pond Road and our drive down the road was about 45 minutes. The sign was easy to see, but we had to stop to read it to be sure we were in the correct place. You walk down the road about 1/2 mile and then the turn off to Goose Eye trail is on the left and well marked. After a short walk through some trees, you come out on another road. Turn left, walk down the road a few hundred feet and then turn off to the right where it's marked to continue on the trail. The trail is in very good shape. If you have time after you summit Goose Eye, take the AT south to Carlo and then come out the Carlo Col trail for a nice loop hike. It's a nice hike with some interesting ladders and rungs and spares you from the really steep downhill if you return the way you came. If you hike out over Carlo, the road walk at the end is a little over a mile. Have fun!

Did the exact same hike you described. Views from Goose Eye were fantastic. Made up for the boring viewless hike of the three Mt. Weeks the day before. The last steep scramble up Goose Eye was fun but I didnt want to go down it.

Look for Ball Cap Rd. off of Success Pond Rd. Turn onto it but take a left instead of going down Ball Cap. The left goes to Bald Cap (yes, Bald) which is a climbing area. People tent in there all the time.

Thanks but I had left RI before this posted. Ended up sleeping at the trailhead just off success pond rd in my truck with no problems. In the morning there were fresh moose tracks right in front of my truck over my tire tracks. Wish I had awoke to see him.

FYI Goose Eye used to have a section near the top that went straight up a ledge. It was equipped with rope tied to a unseen spot at the top of the ledge. It required faith. At some point they cut in the current route that skips the ledge.