Shrewsbury Peak, Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
I climbed Killington Peak and Shrewsbury Peak on Thursday, and here’s something I just noticed (after transferring my GPS track into the computer): Shrewsbury Peak, near Killington Peak, is not where I thought it was. That is, the named peak is a bump north of the point that everyone assumes is the summit. If you climb up from the Black Swamp trail head, the trail junction of the two (or three) branches of Shrewsbury Peak Trail meet between the two bumps. The sign indicates that Shrewsbury Peak is to the south of the junction, but the map assigns the name Shrewsbury Peak to the bump to the north.

I wonder why that is.

I also wonder why the leg of Shrewsbury Peak Trail that heads over to the Long Trail swings around to the southwest to meet the Long Trail, while the maps (the maps I’ve been referencing are the National Geographic Society’s Topo! and the Garmin National Parks East maps) show a dashed line that goes to the northwest, directly up Killington Peak, as well as a lot of other trails that crisscross each other in that vicinity.