Water on the Davis Path

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamW

Reaction score
I'm planning a backpack from Glen Boulder south to 302 via the Davis Path for mid October. I searched old threads and came up with conflicting information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) I read about references to a spring on Mt Davis-- is this fictional?
2) The resolution shelter has been removed right? The water source there is reputed to be sketchy-- is that your experience and how do I find it if the shelter no longer exists?
3) It looks like there is a brook about .25 mile off Davis on the east Isolation trail. Is that mileage about right? How reliable is the water?
4) If you were doing this route as an overnight with 5-8 people where would you camp?

Thanks for your answers to any of these questions!

Davis Path

We hiked from the summit of Washington to 302 in 2011 as a day trip. There was no water on the trail that I would drink (just some stagnant pools) until the brook flowing past the old Resolution Shelter, which I believe has now been removed. And in that case, we had to drop down quite bit to get any water.
I think in wet seasons, there is more water available there.

People camp near the summit of Stairs Mt, but there is no water there, I guess they go down to Resolution Shelter brook to get it.

We did not see any spring on Mt Davis, but we weren't really looking for one either.

There must be a spring somewhere near the site of the old Isolation Shelter, but since I last stayed there back in 68, I sure can't tell you where it is. Plus, they have re-routed the trails in that vicinity. We couldn't even find the old shelter site, which is most likely overgrown.

The water source at the old Resolution Shelter is easy to find, and I think pretty reliable. It's way down the hill from the trail. I don't recall any water from there to Isolation. South of the former shelter site, there are several small streams that cross the trail - if you come to a wet spot, see if there is a trickle you can access. I only recall one of the streams to be large. There's nothing in the Crawford Dome area up until Mt Crawford, then south of Mt Crawford you have some small streams. Basically, if you see orhear water, fill up. There are long stretches with nothing at all.

Thanks JCarter and Maine guy! What about this from Summitpost?

Once at your destination of Mt Isolation, the nearest water is a tiny but reliable stream that crosses Davis Path about half a mile south of Mt Isolation's summit.

What about this from Summitpost?

That would be me.

I was surprised to find any water at all that high on the ridge, but given that this was late August during a dry spell, I'm confident that this rivulet is reliable. In nearly a decade since, nobody has written to correct me, which, on the Internet, is a rarity.

It's truly tiny, you have to be thirsty to notice it.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, you don't have to go terribly far down the Isolation Trail (towards Rocky Branch) to hit the stream (which runs on the north side of the trail). I was there in mid June though, so water levels would have been higher than they are right now.

That would be me.

I was surprised to find any water at all that high on the ridge, but given that this was late August during a dry spell, I'm confident that this rivulet is reliable. In nearly a decade since, nobody has written to correct me, which, on the Internet, is a rarity.

It's truly tiny, you have to be thirsty to notice it.

But enough to filter? Thanks for the update and for your great site!

Yes, deep enough for the head of my pump. I think I pumped right from the middle of the trail, where the flow is channeled between stones set as a narrow waterbar.

I'm not responsible for SummitPost as a whole, just that page (and a few other New Hampshire pages).