Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: worth a new "Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites" thread ?

worth a new "Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites" thread ?

I just noticed that the original one was started 5 years ago (Thanks TwinMom+1 !). I was going to go through the responses, make a list and make a survey, but enough has changed where that probably doesn't make sense.
    Also, I'd like a survey of best "Immediately After Hiking" dining and getting a drink or 2, not a "You Should Probably Shower and Shave First" dining.
    If everyone listed their favorite in the towns they are more familiar with, we could compile a relevant survey.
    So I'd say for us that's Rosa Flamingo's (downstairs) in Bethlehem, Schilling Beer Company in Littleton and Dutch Treat in Franconia.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Dutch Treat in Franconia +1. Wicked cold beers, great pizza, good specials every night, pool table, and sports on TV. Only problem is, the owner's a Yankee fan.
    Add life to your years!

North Conway, NH Avatar: Skiing on Ethan Pond Trail
    I'll second Schilling's in Littleton. I had a work function there a few weeks ago and the food and beer was excellent.

Schilling's is great. The setting is lovely, overlooking the Ammonoosuc River. They have a stromboli that is THE best I've ever had, and the pizza is very good. The beer is darn tootin' too

(After trying out Schilling's, I thanked Tom R. for the shout out on VFTT. He said Chip is the one to thank, so... Thanks Chip!)

We usually go to the "You Should Probably Shower and Shave First" dining establishments without showering and shaving first. Usually...not always

Haven't been there, but a couple of my friends really liked Rosa's. We tried to stop there a couple of weeks ago on a Tuesday and were told that they are closed on Tuesdays. I had some of Shillings beer recently and it was quite good.

I am still partial to the Woodstock Inn on the West side and the Shannon Door (Jackson) on the east. Delaneys also, but that has all of the headaches that come with being near North Conway.

Wow you guys and gals go to some nice places. I usually get a Subway footlong and split it with my dog Buddy. Although lately we are hooked on Elvio's.

It's nice to hear about different places to go for post hike beer and grub. On my way home I usually hit Elvio's or Woodstock if I'm in the Franconia area or Moat Mt. or Elvio's if I'm near Conway. It would be fun to try out some new places, even if I have to drive a little out of the way.

We've been going to Elvios on occasion for >20 years, but lately the kids and I agree that Kringles has much better pizza. Of course it only has a few tables to sit down after a hike, but it is quite close to Jackson.

Mr Pizza in Gorham is open until 11pm every night + has amazing Poutine.

Oh and Shalimar in North Conway has fabulous Indian Food

For the Northern Whites, Northland Dairy Bar in Berlin is worth the drive, they have family type fare. The deserts are hard to beat. They do serve drinks but its definitely not a bar atmosphere.

In the north, you can't go wrong with Mr. Pizza in Gorham. Despite its name, I have never ordered pizza there, but everything else on the menu has been terrific. It is a fine place to eat and drink after a hike- and before a shower.

In the south, Almost There in Albany is consistently good, priced right, and you'll never feel out of place with stubble or grubby clothes.
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Program Region Leader Emeritus: Pemigewasset 1993-2005 Southern Presidentials 2005-2017
    Trail Adopter: Webster Cliff Trail

West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury, CT)
    I think they'd take you in looking grubby after a hike, though it's more of a shave+shower place, and I love it: The Common Man towards the east end of Lincoln just off the Kanc. Interesting, diverse menu and really like the decor and atmosphere, rustic and comfortable. Gypsy Cafe was ok, not great.

The brunch, more of a before hike thing, at Brittany's Cafe was excellent on July 4th weekend this summer. Lower price than some more famous spots close by, and very high quality. Friendly and casual, nice feel. Also in Lincoln/Woodstock area, Woodstock Inn and Flapjack's are both very good, but higher priced. Problem with Flapjack's is the line.

I forget the name of the new place in the basement at the Thayer Inn in Littleton. Limited bar menu, but what was there was very good. Nice place and neat old inn.
    Last edited by Driver8; 09-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; NEFF: 14/50; Northeast 4K: 27/115

https://www.facebook.com/Arkie.in.CT
    http://www.panoramio.com/user/5078936?show=all

With regards to The Woodstock Inn, the food was ok but the 4000 Footer IPA was outstanding! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	064 4K IPA at Woodstock Inn.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	5053
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I forget the name of the new place in the basement at the Thayer Inn in Littleton. Limited bar menu, but what was there was very good. Nice place and neat old inn.
    That's reopened as something different now. Since the fire or water or whatever happened there. A little too upscale for me the last time.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.