Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: worth a new "Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites" thread ?

KoKo Head Direct About 1024 Steps one way
    I always stop at the White Mountain Cafe across the street from Burger King. The coffee is tops and the sandwiches really good quality. No mystery meat or pink slime here. A good value for the money. And thank god no drive up window!

Plus, I believe it is co-owned by one of our own.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 01-09-2020 at 10:04 PM.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    I always stop at the White Mountain Cafe across the street from Burger King. The coffee is tops and the sandwiches really good quality. No mystery meat or pink slime here. A good value for the money. And thank god no drive up window!

Plus, I believe it is co-owned by one of our own.
    If you like burgers whether it is beef,turkey or vegetable check out Wicked Fresh Craft Burgers in North Conway next to HomeGoods. They also have hand cut fries and Beer! https://www.wickedfreshburgers.com/menu
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Mr. Pizza is a fantastic post hike place. The name is kind of misleading because there is so many other food options there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Reneeapril View Post
    Mr. Pizza is a fantastic post hike place. The name is kind of misleading because there is so many other food options there too.
    I agree. Great Italian all around. Especially The Chicken Parm!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    If you like burgers whether it is beef,turkey or vegetable check out Wicked Fresh Craft Burgers in North Conway next to HomeGoods. They also have hand cut fries and Beer! https://www.wickedfreshburgers.com/menu
    Another vote for Wicked Fresh.

Wicked fresh wasn't good for me. Tried it once. Too much money probably for what it was. I find much better deals somehow. Probably would go to Burger King there instead.

One thing I object to generically is places that have on line menus that don't list prices. Wicked Fresh checks that box so I would be less inclined to walk in the door initially. I guess they are going for the North Conway high end tourist crowd so they may believe that their target audience is not interested in prices. Their competitors apparently don't have this approach https://www.moatmountain.com/sites/d...May%202019.pdf

[ATTACH=CONFIG]
    LOL..I forgot that Hikers were Cheap Skates. Might want to give it a try.You will probably save some money over The Moat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22D76AA2-2729-44B6-B6BB-13C29330D323.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	6321  
    Last edited by skiguy; 01-12-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Great, maybe you can convince them to do the same on their website.

I'll add my vote for Mr. Pizza. Great variety to choose from the menu, craft beers and I really enjoy eating out on the outside deck with the Androscoggin flowing by!
    GayOutdoors.org
    It's the journey, not the destination

For 29 years Woodstock Brewery has been the jackpot. Almost all my White Mt. trips have me passing it on the way to I91 VT Bradford on the way home.

Reminiscing: By far, our favorite restaurant ever in the White Mountains region was Govoni's, a quaint small white converted cottage tucked between rt. 112 west of North Woodstock and a small scenic gorge of the Moosilauke Brook. Opened summers since 1914, the family operated in the winter at Loon Mountain in a building which subsequently housed a nature center, then a ski rental center ... don't know what it is now, don't go back much since the restaurant closed not to mention that we went on to other mountains and regions. We went back many times and made a game of "bagging" every table like our quest in the mountains.

Seating was limited, maybe serving a capacity of 45. Red and white checkered tablecloths and old Chianti bottles stuffed with dripping candles were all the decor needed. First come, first served but there was a "lounge" and, if you were lucky to get one of the half dozen seats, and your adrenaline boost from your hike wasn't enough, the cars coming down from Kinsmen's Notch 10 feet away at the speed of light might help. Alternately, you could take your cocktail out to a couple benches on the porch or take a short walk over the footbridge in back and a short trail on the other side of the gorge.

The family relocated their winters to Breckenridge, CO and continued to operate the restaurant in the summer until, eventually, no one in the family was interested in the business. They leased the premises for a few summers under strict guidelines on loyalty to the menu and recipes, which were basically delicious home cooked Italian dishes at very reasonable prices. I still have a late '90's menu filed with my nearby hiking info and here's what I'd probably order today: soup di giorno bowl 2.95, eggplant parmigiana with a side of spaghetti, family style house salad, fresh baked bread 10.95, or possibly a special off the board, and a homemade dessert.

We've been to most of the restaurants listed in the thread but none can compare to Govonis in ambiance, value, quality and service. I bet we'd go back to the White more often if it were still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Reminiscing: By far, our favorite restaurant ever in the White Mountains region was Govoni's, a quaint small white converted cottage tucked between rt. 112 west of North Woodstock and a small scenic gorge of the Moosilauke Brook. Opened summers since 1914, the family operated in the winter at Loon Mountain in a building which subsequently housed a nature center, then a ski rental center ... don't know what it is now, don't go back much since the restaurant closed not to mention that we went on to other mountains and regions. We went back many times and made a game of "bagging" every table like our quest in the mountains.

Seating was limited, maybe serving a capacity of 45. Red and white checkered tablecloths and old Chianti bottles stuffed with dripping candles were all the decor needed. First come, first served but there was a "lounge" and, if you were lucky to get one of the half dozen seats, and your adrenaline boost from your hike wasn't enough, the cars coming down from Kinsmen's Notch 10 feet away at the speed of light might help. Alternately, you could take your cocktail out to a couple benches on the porch or take a short walk over the footbridge in back and a short trail on the other side of the gorge.

The family relocated their winters to Breckenridge, CO and continued to operate the restaurant in the summer until, eventually, no one in the family was interested in the business. They leased the premises for a few summers under strict guidelines on loyalty to the menu and recipes, which were basically delicious home cooked Italian dishes at very reasonable prices. I still have a late '90's menu filed with my nearby hiking info and here's what I'd probably order today: soup di giorno bowl 2.95, eggplant parmigiana with a side of spaghetti, family style house salad, fresh baked bread 10.95, or possibly a special off the board, and a homemade dessert.

We've been to most of the restaurants listed in the thread but none can compare to Govonis in ambiance, value, quality and service. I bet we'd go back to the White more often if it were still there.
    Definitely was an iconic spot.
    Last edited by skiguy; 01-15-2020 at 02:06 PM.