Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: worth a new "Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites" thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I think they'd take you in looking grubby after a hike, though it's more of a shave+shower place, and I love it: The Common Man towards the east end of Lincoln just off the Kanc.
    I think Steve's answer when I asked if we were okay going there stinky was "Eh, Lincoln's a resort town, nobody will care." And they didn't.

If I'm remembering correctly, Dutch Treat is where I had an awesome "breakfast Reuben": eggs, sauerkraut, corned beef hash, tomato hollandaise between latkes. Really good.

A bit off the straight route home for Bostonians, but Jordan's Ice Creamery in Belmont (106 just north of 140) deserves the lines of people they get.

I do most of my post-hike eating in Gorham. There are a few good spots you can go after hiking. I've been to each of the following 10+ times anyway.

Jays is consistently good and you can sit in the bar at tables instead of the dining room. I've probably eaten there 40 times over the past ten years. It has a bar atmosphere some of the time. For years the bartender never smiled, never wrote down my order, and never made a mistake. Also has a dining room. Burgers, wraps, soups, steaks, fish. Wide price range on menu - pretty good on both ends.

Gorham House of Pizza I like for subs, fries, etc. It changed owners maybe a year ago and is quite good now I think. The pizza was fine but I don't get that usually. Cheaper than Jays.

Gorham Dynasty Buffet is Chinese buffet. If you like plates of fried rice, crab rangoon, sweet and sour chicken, etc, it is about the same quality as the food court at any mall. I have a punch card. It's all you can eat ice cream as well. Sometimes it's perfect. They have those ridiculous drinks like zombies. It's just over $10 I think for the buffet.

Pizza Hut and Subway get me sometimes too.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

North Conway, NH Avatar: Skiing on Ethan Pond Trail
    Mountain Fire Pizza in Gorham has upscale pizza and a good selection of microbrews.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by SherpaWill View Post
    It's nice to hear about different places to go for post hike beer and grub. On my way home I usually hit Elvio's or Woodstock if I'm in the Franconia area or Moat Mt. or Elvio's if I'm near Conway. It would be fun to try out some new places, even if I have to drive a little out of the way.
    http://viewsandbrews.com/nh !
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Black Mountain Burger in Lincoln is fabulous and just moved across the strip mall from its former location to more than double the space. Our go-to place this summer when in the Franconia area. Great 1/2 lb burgers, homemade baked beans and 30+ brews. (Not all on tap).

I can't remember the name of it, but there's a great Mexican restaurant in North Conway. As you're heading south it's on the left, just where you turn into Hannaford's. Good beer selection and great margaritas, too...
    Add life to your years!

I always shower after hiking and before going out to eat, I find I just enjoy my meal more if I do.

Not that it is a "shower and shave before going to" place but I like Scorpio's in Lancaster.

Scarecrow Pub in Jackson also gets a vote from me.
    "The laborers day ends with the going down of the sun, and he is then free to
    devote himself to his chosen pursuit, independent of his labor and his
    employer". Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by TwinMom+1 View Post
    Black Mountain Burger in Lincoln is fabulous and just moved across the strip mall from its former location to more than double the space. Our go-to place this summer when in the Franconia area. Great 1/2 lb burgers, homemade baked beans and 30+ brews. (Not all on tap).
    But, they HAVE stuff on tap now. I'm very happy about that fact

And yes, their burgers rock. Love the new location, so much bigger!
    NH 4K X5 -- NH W4K -- NE 4K -- NEHH

The Rosebrook Bar at the Mt. Washington Hotel is definitely a shower-and-shave establishment to be enjoyed without the shower and without the shave in your standard post-hike attire, cocktail in hand.

West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury, CT)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    That's reopened as something different now. Since the fire or water or whatever happened there. A little too upscale for me the last time.
    I was just there August 25. Enjoyed.
    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; NEFF: 14/50; Northeast 4K: 27/115

https://www.facebook.com/Arkie.in.CT
    http://www.panoramio.com/user/5078936?show=all

Another Gorham Option

I am also happy to say that the Boott Spur Grill in Gorham has served two really good meals in a row, one last weekend after FOT48.

Anyone familiar with the history of this building has seen it change names and styles nearly yearly for as long as I can recall. The previous place called Thanksgivings served one of the worst meals I had in years. And it is hard to mess up breakfast.

The burger and the haddock were both very good at BSG. I hope this one makes it.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

I agree with Ravens observations on the restaurant next to the Royalty currently called Boott Spur Grille. It has had a mixed history. Boot Spur cultivated the boiler contractors in town last year to survive the dreaded "post leaf season to when snow flies" doldrums and the mud season . I hope they can survive them now that the contractors are out of town but expect it will be a challenge.

"Best" restaurant may be a stretch if you're hungry for something better than comfort food but the Common Man Restaurants are reliable. One we recently tried and enjoyed was the Italian Farmhouse on Daniel Webster Highway (rt. 25) in Plymouth, not far off I-93. The new State Liquor Stores they're building on I-93 south of Concord will have at least two Commpon Man restaurants, an Italian Farmhouse and 50's Diner. Can't get more convenient then that but if I'm that far south out of the mountains and I haven't eaten I generally prefer either Hermanos or Angelinas in downtown Concord.

How many of these places are dependable for a world class case of the trots? My wife sees some of those north area restaurants as 'risky'.

Quote Originally Posted by rup View Post
    How many of these places are dependable for a world class case of the trots? My wife sees some of those north area restaurants as 'risky'.
    We have never gone back to the cute Diner, across from the library, in Littleton. Maybe we need an "Avoid" list also.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.