Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: worth a new "Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites" thread ?

http://www.wmur.com/news/pollys-panc...tions/33057958 A new option to most is Pollys Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill. It used to be open seasonally and had received great reviews. The owners have just rebuilt it and its going to be open year round

An update on the Boote Spur Grille in Gorham. It has been replaced with Guidis, They are open really odd hours 10 PM to 2 PM. I have not tired it.

On a Sunday morning back in the '80s, I had the best pancakes of my life at Polly's Pancake Parlor. The bacon was outstanding too - thick-cut and crisp but not tough. The pancakes were simple buttermilk, I think with pecans. Not novelty but perfect execution. There was a line to get in and very understandable.

Polly's is good... But don't forget Monroe's in Twin for breakfast!
    Add life to your years!

Not sure if the Pig's Ear BBQ in Lincoln is still in business -- there was some doubt as of last winter whether she'd be continuing her lease -- but dang, what great food, in hiker-friendly portions and affordably priced, with very personal service.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I agree with Ravens observations on the restaurant next to the Royalty currently called Boott Spur Grille. It has had a mixed history. Boot Spur cultivated the boiler contractors in town last year to survive the dreaded "post leaf season to when snow flies" doldrums and the mud season . I hope they can survive them now that the contractors are out of town but expect it will be a challenge.
    And once again, the restaurant in this space has flopped.

It has reopened as Guldie's which is at least the 5th place I can recall in the last 3-4 years.

Guldie's has been in North Conway and Berlin. Opens at 10 PM, yes, PM and closes at 2 PM.

In other words if you want a full breakfast at 2 AM before a traverse, this may be a good option. Based on the locale's history, you may want to try them sooner then later. Hopefully one of these places will last. Boott Spur Grill was not bad.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

An update on the Boote Spur Grille in Gorham. It has been replaced with Guidis, They are open really odd hours 10 PM to 2 PM. I have not tired it.
    Guldi's was formerly in NC and Berlin. Odd hours, but a thought; if you want a full breakfast at 2 AM before a traverse, this may be a good option. Based on the locale's history, you may want to try them sooner then later. Hopefully one of these places will last. Boott Spur Grill was not bad.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

With respect to the restaurant of many names adjacent to the Royalty, I have heard second hand that the Royalty owns the facility. They apparently will make a deal with a potential operator based on some period of free or reduced rent to get it filled. Generally that buys the new operator a few months and they run during the profitable summer and fall season and then take a slump during the fall "mud season". Most of the time they rarely make it to ski season and if they do the spring mud season does them in. Considering Guidis hasn't even invested in a sign, I question its long term viability. Nevertheless options for an early breakfast is pretty slim in the Berlin/Gorham area so it may be handy while its open.

The prior operation, Boote Spur had steady stream of customers from the boiler project in Berlin. I ran into a few folks who ate there every night when they were in town. The cook would cook whatever they wanted. After about a 10 year run of hundreds of millions of dollars of construction in the Berlin/Gorham area, there are no major construction projects to speak of, so the local businesses are back to a tourist based business. The only bright spot is the ATV traffic from the Ride the Wilds trail network as there is little tourism infrastructure north of Gorham.

Polly's in Sugar Hill has reopened after a big renovation.
    I didn't eat there before and haven't since, but I'm sure it's the same or better.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Thanks a million for the tip on Schillings! We will be coming off two days in the huts in July before heading to a B&B in Bethlehem, and I think Schillings is perfect for my Brit husband. A beer connoisseur!

Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Dreamer View Post
    Thanks a million for the tip on Schillings! We will be coming off two days in the huts in July before heading to a B&B in Bethlehem, and I think Schillings is perfect for my Brit husband. A beer connoisseur!
    It's a good spot with great beer and very decent (limited) food: An old mill building on the river and a short drive back to Bethlehem.
    In Bethlehem: Rosa Flamingos down stairs is good for an app, salad and/or pizza or dinner with many local brews, like Moat Mtn.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    It's a good spot with great beer and very decent (limited) food: An old mill building on the river and a short drive back to Bethlehem.
    In Bethlehem: Rosa Flamingos down stairs is good for an app, salad and/or pizza or dinner with many local brews, like Moat Mtn.
    Thanks for the affirmation. We booked the Mulford Inn B&B as it appears we can crawl to Rosa Flamingos

Looks like it time to revisit the thread. There is a new barbeque joint in Gorham located at the former Pizza Hut (adjacent to Burger King). Right now its a trailer parked in the lot but they plan to have completed renovations in the building and move in by June. The owners used to run a food truck at the various fairs in the region. It not a extensive menu, definitely set up for fairs. They are doing a soft open and didn't have ribs yet but the pulled pork was tasty. The are closed Sundays and Mondays. Probably a good match with the ATV crowd.

The breakfast place at the Royalty has been empty most of the winter with no signs of it reopening. The prior operator was advertising he would be reopening it soon but that was quite awhile ago .

The other newer place which I haven't tired is Nona's, its on Exchange street where the Moonbeam Café used to be. Its Italian cuisine. It think it runs limited hours and days.

A few changes in Gorham to report. McDonalds is closed for major renovations further limiting quick breakfast options. Burger King seems to be a victim of franchise indifference, poorly staffed. Avoid it during rush hours and dont get trapped in the drive thru as they take your order and then there is no way to escape when they park you to deal with understaffing. Still three choices of pizza in town. I prefer the wood fired variation but to each their own.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 06-04-2018 at 08:54 PM.

A few changes in Gorham to report. McDonalds is closed for major renovations further limiting quick breakfast options. Burger King seems to be a victim of franchise indifference, poorly staffed. Avoid it during rush hours and dont get trapped in the drive thru as they take your order and then there is no way to escape when they park you to deal with understaffing. Still three choices of pizza in town. I prefer the wood fired variation but to each their own.
    I am amazed that BK holds on. No way it turns a profit.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

I've never had issues with BK in Gorham.. look forward to it when in a hurry.