worth a new "Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites" thread ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2021 Update from Gorham.
The 101-108 Main ST shops are seeing some changes:
There is a new coffee shop with pretty good expresso, coffee, etc. called Dermody Road that soft-opened last week at 101 Main ST. Pretty decent yeasty cinnamon roll and coffee from there yesterday. Funky inside with lots of art and some seating. Plans to add live music later in the day. Hours seem to be unclear at the moment, so I'd call ahead: (603) 915-9144

Libby's/Saalt/Atlas: currently on "spring break". Seem to plan to reopen take-out from Atlas the first week of June; restaurants to open for in-person dining later in June.

Some more Gorham updates

The owner of Libby's was trying to setup some short term rentals over their business. The Randolph crowd that tends to pay the bills at Libbys/Salt/Atlas are heading back to town, they should be open soon if they plan to re-open.

Nona's the Italian restaurant on Exchange Street seems to have survived

Mr Pizza is still actively for sale but open

The former Wood Fired Pizza Place has reopened as the Public House, Its only open Wednesday to Monday. It was open sporadically during the pandemic

The Chinese buffet has reopened. Yokahama, Gorham House of Pizza and J's Corner restaurant are still around

The BBQ place is pretty much the same as before, they never did expand their BBQ offerings significantly and are catering to the ATV crowd.

Sadly the bakery that moved down the road to Welsh's lasted about a month so its now vacant. There is a food truck, the Butchers Daughter that is currently located next to Mr Pizza.

There is definitely a lack of grab and go breakfast spots in town ( White Mountain Cafe, Dunkins, Mc Ds and the new place). The Depot restaurant is now mobbed with ATV traffic now that the entrance to the ATV network is relocated to north of the trestle.

The Berlin area has lost a couple of restaurants post pandemic, but the Northland Dairy Bar remains a consistent place for a good meal.

Despite lots of realtors and investors pitching turn key vacant restaurant/hospitality opportunities with the ATV boom, not a lot of investment in town except air B&B.

The labor shortage has not skipped the area, plan on reduced days and hours, long waits and short staffs.

Last edited:
The former Wood Fired Pizza Place has reopened as the Public House, Its only open Wednesday to Monday. It was open sporadically during the pandemic
For clarification. Does that mean they are only closed on Tuesdays?

Well for folks familiar with the Northland Restaurant in Berlin (AKA the Dairy Bar) its a sad time as it is closing. I think for most hikers it was just an extra 20 minutes north of where they wanted to go but for those who went, it was worth the trip for their fresh berry pies. They had a dedicated work force many who stayed around when the facility burned to the ground and was rebuilt about 20 years ago. It was the best fresh seafood in the north country. Politicians will not know where to go as it was a popular spot to visit then when they were in town. The owners are retiring. I dont see anyone reopening it due to its location on the north end of town. Some folks from the area used to plan their vacations around the fresh berry pies, I expect a lot of disappointed folks will be driving by in the next year.

Well for folks familiar with the Northland Restaurant in Berlin (AKA the Dairy Bar) its a sad time as it is closing. I think for most hikers it was just an extra 20 minutes north of where they wanted to go but for those who went, it was worth the trip for their fresh berry pies. They had a dedicated work force many who stayed around when the facility burned to the ground and was rebuilt about 20 years ago. It was the best fresh seafood in the north country. Politicians will not know where to go as it was a popular spot to visit then when they were in town. The owners are retiring. I dont see anyone reopening it due to its location on the north end of town. Some folks from the area used to plan their vacations around the fresh berry pies, I expect a lot of disappointed folks will be driving by in the next year.

Saw that in the news today (link). They officially close in three weeks.

The ongoing business climate of staffing issues, product availability, rising prices, and the physical and emotional demands is the driving force behind this very difficult decision

After years of driving by, we finally stopped in there a few years ago. Nice facility, good food, good prices, good service. Since then, when we're in the area, we make a point of going there (I like it better than Mr. Pizza apres-hike). Tried their pies on your recommendation and they were fantastic. Sorry to see it closing.

Last edited:
Too bad as it had been our go-to when we lived in Gorham when I was looking for seafood, which always seemed the best in the area. They were great hosts and patiently welcomed us for monthly Nansen Ski Club meetings.

I had read a week or so ago that the Spa ("Spahr") in West Stewartsown had burned to ashes and wondered if the Wilderness Restuarant in Colebrook was still open. Just read in the Colebrook Chronicle it is and is welcoming new owners.

Most of the restaurants in the North Country are sole proprietorships and that is tough way to earn a living given the seasonality of the business. ATV traffic is pretty predictable but one restaurant owner in Gorham complained that the almost weekly ATV events (Pre covid) in Berlin syphoned off a lot of traffic. BTW Mr Pizza has been actively marketing to the ATV trade that it is actively for sale. Welch's has been closed and the current plan is to convert it to rental units. Snowmobile traffic in the area is real patchy, winters are starting later and the ski trail may not be passable until late January and probably closed by late March. Town and Country in Shelburne can cook good food but they try to keep a full menu year round and that means at time that the food is less than fresh. I have heard good things about the new Glen House but expect its a different clientele than most of the Berlin Gorham spots.

Didn’t read all the posts and don’t frequently stop for post-hike meals, but a former boyfriend and I had a really good meal a few years back at Fabyan’s Station on Route 302. He had a connection through his family from his childhood and thought it would be a good stop for us after my third or fourth ascent of Mount Washington. His first adult hike of the 48, by the way, and of since which he’s gone on to complete the other 47. :)

Resturants come and go as fast as they come. Few stay on. Everyone thinks they can start and or run one. 99 % are wrong. Bad servings,food,hours etc all contribute to their downfall.

We've all eaten at bad or poor resturants cause of nowhere else to go at the time. And we all have stories of folks we know who tried their hand at it and failed. That won't change. Traffic of ATV or any other reasons won't change it. Either your good or your not. People will travel far for a good meal and deal. We do.

If your still reading this I have a North Country classic food story. I went to Brenda's when it moved to RT 3 in Twin. 8 yrs now? not sure. I ordered a $10 hamburger with fries. When the waiter came out with it I was shocked at the tiny tiney burger with about 6 fries. The waiter caught my expression and said right off "it's small cause the meat is quality" .. I ate it and it wasn't great meat that I know. Where are they now? Monroes is still there isn't it.

I've never understood this thread. The last thing I want to do after a long hike is take my sweaty, tired body and go sit down in a restaurant. Unless you live locally or are staying in a motel and can take a quick shower, it makes little sense to me. Back when I was a summer camper, and we had finished a 5 day backpack trip, we would get back to camp (Lakes Region), shower and then go out to eat. That was a very big deal when you are a young camper from far away. Today, I just want to get home, take a shower and grab something to eat.

Last edited: