Will You Buy a NH HikeSafe Card?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will You Buy a NH Hike Safe Card?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Probably Yes

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • Probably Not

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • No - I am covered another way

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • No - Just No.

Votes: 26 29.2%

• Total voters

Raven

Reaction score
Let's see what the pulse of the board is on this one. We've heard, read, and written a lot of comments on the card. Where do you land now?

Last edited:
Not in it's current form. It's an annual payment, to help in case of an accident. $25.00 a year for walking in the woods insurance. I'll retain the risk myself. I'm also not a fan of buying it online either.

(Just a luddite, I even pay for my ez-pass in cash. While Target, HD, and backs keep getting hacked from overseas, I'm waiting for someone from overseas to go dumpster diving at my transfer station and put the shredded statements back together.... :rolleyes:)

I have a CORSAR card (which I think is about to expire, so I will get another one next time I'm in CO), and I live a lot further from Colorado than I used to. I'll be recerting my WFR soon (at $400 for 3 years.) I will not buy a HikeSafe card with the current setup.

Nope. With Tim, fishing license. My casting can sometimes be deemed "negligent", but I think I'm still covered.

Give me a way to pay cash, in person, and I'll get one.

I had planned to buy one, as a way of supporting those responsible for SAR, but if I understand correctly, the only way to buy a card is via the internet, and I don't do financial transactions of any sort on the internet.

TomK

If the card was good until I had to use it, I would buy one.
BUT, every year, SORRY NHF&G. I carry everything I need to spend a night out if I had to. So the only way I could be anywhere near negligent is if the Fish & Game decide hiking solo is negligent. In my mind, solo DOES NOT EQUAL NEGLIGENT!!!
Lets go back to the table and rewrite the law guys.

No card for me.
I also usually hike solo and feel that if I bought a card and needed a rescue, F&G would call me reckless and charge me anyways.

I do not think they will fine you if your solo, that just makes no sense at all. Some of the greatest backcountry hikers/climbers go solo all the time.

Not in it's current form. It's an annual payment, to help in case of an accident. $25.00 a year for walking in the woods insurance. I'll retain the risk myself. I'm also not a fan of buying it online either.

(Just a luddite, I even pay for my ez-pass in cash. While Target, HD, and backs keep getting hacked from overseas, I'm waiting for someone from overseas to go dumpster diving at my transfer station and put the shredded statements back together.... :rolleyes:)

You do know that your transits through the toll booths are logged into an online system when you use EZ Pass, whether you personally use that logging system or not, right? ;)

You do know that your transits through the toll booths are logged into an online system when you use EZ Pass, whether you personally use that logging system or not, right? ;)

Yes, however, I have no credit card information attached to my account. I don't travel daily through any tool system but monthly will be either in NY, NH, MA or NJ, sometimes two or three different states.

I do not think they will fine you if your solo, that just makes no sense at all. Some of the greatest backcountry hikers/climbers go solo all the time.

I don't expect that F&G would fine solo hikers who don't need rescues. But, I've had enough close calls over the years to realize that someday I may need a rescue and it may take some time for F&G to find me.

As I mentioned previously, unreasonably expensive and short term - for something I'm extremely unlikely to use. No - Just no.

Isn't 911 a "nine-hundred number"? I'd think the state would be making a ton off of all those calls. :p

I don't expect that F&G would fine solo hikers who don't need rescues. But, I've had enough close calls over the years to realize that someday I may need a rescue and it may take some time for F&G to find me.

We met up with a Saco Forest Ranger on Saturday on North Tri. She was hiking solo (and on duty). It seems if that were negligent, then they would force the usage of the buddy system (though I know FS and F&G are very different). Being solo isn't negligent if you're competent, but it does require you to be more prepared.

As I mentioned previously, unreasonably expensive and short term - for something I'm extremely unlikely to use. No - Just no.

I believe this is the same rationale behind uninsured motorists, like the one that hit my brother a few months ago. By my math I've paid approximately $10,000 in car insurance in my life (since becoming autonomous) and received approximately $75 in services (repaired a chip on my windshield). Of course, everyone pays different rates for car insurance, but the card it a flat fee. It would be kind of cool if they offered cards for free if you attended wilderness training courses - like a 'safe hiker' discount.