Franconia Ridge Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4Paws4Feet

Reaction score
Peaks: Flume, Liberty, Little Haystack, Lincoln, Lafayette

Trails: Flume Slide Tr., Osseo Tr., Franconia Ridge Tr., Greenleaf Tr., Old Bridle Path, Bike Path

Date of Hike: 9/25/2014

Trail Conditions: Trails were in great conditions. Generally dry with the exception of some spots on the Flume Slide trail and by the Greenleaf Hut

Special Equipment Required: None

Comments: I decided to play hooky from work and take Penny up the Flume Slide trail and do a full Franconia Ridge traverse. I had wanted to do the slide for a while now, so this dry weather seemed like a great time. She did great on the slide trail, but definitely know your dogs limitations, because this trail could be tough for many dogs. We used the herd paths along the side of the trail a few times to avoid some very slippery rocks, and ended up losing the trail and bushwhacking for about 45 minutes until we met up with trail again, above the slide (~El. 3900). I lost a red Patagonia vest somewhere on the slide trail/bushwhack. If anyone finds it, please email me. Other than that, amazing day in the Whites with great views!

Hitting the summit of Flume at 9am meant we had the whole place to ourselves, which was pretty amazing. This was the case when we got to Liberty as well. We met up with quite a few more hikers as we continued along the ridge.

The trails were all in great shape, as this is a very popular area. Some water on the Flume Slide, and crossing the marsh by the Greenleaf Hut.

The views were amazing as the sun was shining. Not too much foliage yet, but it is definitely starting. Overall an amazing day for a hike.

Your name: Jay

Your E-mail address: [email protected]

Penny on Liberty:

Penny on Liberty.jpg

I was doing the same trip in the other direction on the 25th, and passed you once on the ridge and again on the bike path. Penny is hard to miss; glad she made it safely. Descending the FST took a lot of attention. I don't know if I saved any time vs. going back to Liberty and down the better trail.

I was doing the same trip in the other direction on the 25th, and passed you once on the ridge and again on the bike path. Penny is hard to miss; glad she made it safely. Descending the FST took a lot of attention. I don't know if I saved any time vs. going back to Liberty and down the better trail.

What a great day it was for that hike, I'm glad you got to enjoy it as well. That bike path seemed to go on forever. I was started to feel it at that point. Penny seemed to get her second wind then. It always surprises/impresses me how well she can handle long arduous hikes for such a big pup.

I can only imagine how slow going down the FST must have been.