Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter 48 Rules

Winter 48 Rules

If I hike any of the NH-48 in the winter, can I count those peaks for both the NH-48 list, and the winter NH-48 list? Or do I need summit each peak twice for both lists to count?

Thanks!

Winter peaks count for both lists - winter and any season.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

To answer any further questions and get all the details, visit amc4000footer.org.

I personally did them separately, for some reason I felt double counting was cheating. I've often wondered if one were to submit a list entirely of winter hikes to the committee would one receive both patches. I will have to ask June that question sometime.
    What do you mean he don't eat no meat? Ok, I'll do lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by MadRiver View Post
    I personally did them separately, for some reason I felt double counting was cheating. I've often wondered if one were to submit a list entirely of winter hikes to the committee would one receive both patches. I will have to ask June that question sometime.
    I'm pretty sure both patches would be qualified for. The NH48 requires you hike the 48. The W48 requires hiking all 48 in winter. Since the criteria for both would have been met, I would say both patches are achieved. They'd have a tough time counting one of the 48 for both but not all of the 48.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I'm pretty sure both patches would be qualified for. The NH48 requires you hike the 48. The W48 requires hiking all 48 in winter. Since the criteria for both would have been met, I would say both patches are achieved. They'd have a tough time counting one of the 48 for both but not all of the 48.
    Yes, it's permissible per the rules of the game laid out on the official AMC 4000 Footer Committee site I referenced above, and I have little doubt that such 2-for-1 applications have been made. However, I think it's radically improbable that such folks truly haven't hiked a single one of the 4000 footers in the 3 seasons before completing them all in winter. Rather, it's simply an expedient and 'cute' way to make application, at the cost of not being recognized for completing the 'any season' 48 as soon as they actually did.

I've been procrastinating for years on making my own 'any season' application. I'll likely do it at the same time as I apply for my winter patch, but my 'any season' list will reflect my earliest possible qualifying visits to those peaks.

Alex

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmtn View Post
    However, I think it's radically improbable that such folks truly haven't hiked a single one of the 4000 footers in the 3 seasons before completing them all in winter. Rather, it's simply an expedient and 'cute' way to make application, at the cost of not being recognized for completing the 'any season' 48 as soon as they actually did.
    Consider the accomplished, but frugal Winter 46er, who lives in NY, but would rather minimize his/her travel to the Whites. This person could certainly make a few forays over to NH and bang out the W48.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

I would think with the green initiatives, the AMC would be looking to having the lists doubled-up to cut down on wasteful travel....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    Consider the accomplished, but frugal Winter 46er, who lives in NY, but would rather minimize his/her travel to the Whites. This person could certainly make a few forays over to NH and bang out the W48.
    Tom, I rank as a 7 or so out of 10 on the frugality scale, but our geographic circumstances are reversed - the Whites are my 'local' playground, and I'm getting steadily more enamored with the prospect of checking off the Daks. I feel pretty convinced that winter's the way to go per the theme of this thread, and esp. so since I'm not a big fan of lots of wet on the trail.

However, two factors keep me from wanting to avoid the 3 seasons there anywhere close to entirely: first, there's lots of unique and spectacular 3-season hiking to be done there (or so I hear, lol) - for example, my ADK debut this past summer took the form of a gorgeous Great Range traverse - and second, I feel the need for a certain degree of pre-winter familiarity with these new and different environs.

Alex
    Last edited by alexmtn; 10-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    I am likely to take this approach should I ever chase the ADK 46'r patch.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmtn View Post
    Tom, I rank as a 7 or so out of 10 on the frugality scale, but our geographic circumstances are reversed - the Whites are my 'local' playground, and I'm getting steadily more enamored with the prospect of checking off the Daks. I feel pretty convinced that winter's the way to go per the theme of this thread, and esp. so since I'm not a big fan of lots of wet on the trail.

However, two factors keep me from wanting to avoid the 3 seasons there anywhere close to entirely: first, there's lots of unique and spectacular 3-season hiking to be done there (or so I hear, lol) - for example, my ADK debut this past summer took the form of a gorgeous Great Range traverse - and second, I feel the need for a certain degree of pre-winter familiarity with these new and different environs.

Alex
    I agree with familiarizing oneself with the peaks, or at least, go with an experienced person.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

if one were to skin up a 4ker via splitboard or skis does that count? does one need to snowshoe? when i did some winter nh 4kers in the past i had snowshoed up and snowboarded down. now i have a splitboard and would like to use it for some of the vermont peaks. is that allowable?

Quote Originally Posted by natron View Post
    if one were to skin up a 4ker via splitboard or skis does that count? does one need to snowshoe? when i did some winter nh 4kers in the past i had snowshoed up and snowboarded down. now i have a splitboard and would like to use it for some of the vermont peaks. is that allowable?
    Skis and splitboards are allowed!
    NH48 (W) | NE67 | WMG Redlining | 52WAV | NE100: 89/100 | TW72: 62/72 | NHHH: 72/100 | Grid: 217/576

Besides, if you did them all but only in winter you would miss out on one of the best parts of the Adirondacks - the boot sucking mud.
    Reaching the summit is optional, getting down is mandatory. (Ed Viesturs)

NH 4K Grid #69
    Three-Season: ADK 46 #10140, NH 48, New England 67, and Northeast 115
    Winter: ADK 46 #10140W, NH 48, New England 67, New England Hundred Highest #120, and Northeast 115 #92
    Others: CO 14ers 28/58, Catskills 7/35, and Northeast 8 Ultra 5/8
    Trail Adopter: Caps Ridge Trail from Trailhead to Summit of Jefferson
    Organizer: Random Group of Hikers (www.meetup.com/rndmhkrs)

Quote Originally Posted by akafuzzjones View Post
    Besides, if you did them all but only in winter you would miss out on one of the best parts of the Adirondacks - the boot sucking mud.
    I mentioned above that I'm not a huge fan of wet trails. I can still feel the incredulity as the trail I was on, coming off the flanks of Haystack and Marcy, took a turn and became a boulder/log hop along [well not really just 'along' - more actually *in*] a large stream for a good fraction of a mile. I guess one could argue that this wasn't a wet trail because I managed not to actually get wet, but still...