Thread: High Peaks pine martens?

High Peaks pine martens?

I'd love an opportunity to photograph a pine marten. Are there any Adk campsite/leanto/other places that might be fairly reliable to find them, without actually baiting them?

Thanks

Every time we've camped at the Uphill Brook Lean-To in winter, we've been visited by the local marten(s). Just make sure he doesn't steal your food and gear when you're not watching!

I've heard that the one at Uphill is pretty reliable! I've also seen one at the campsite on the trail from the loj to Algonquin right before the waterfall and we saw two on Allen. One on the slide and one on the summit.

Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachusett Greenway
    This happened over at one of the back L/Ts Over by Flowed Lands.
    It was late winter '96. I was sitting at the edge of the lean-to one sunny afternoon after climbing Skylight and Gray, enjoying a cup-a-soup and a ziplock full of oyster crackers. The bag was in my hand, dangling between my legs as I sipped my soup, full of relaxation. I suddenly felt a tug and looked down between my legs and there was a Pine Marten with the bottom corner of the bag in its' mouth.

I jumped a foot in the air and both of us let the bag go! As the bag hit the ground, oyster crackers flew everywhere. The Pine Marten disappeared for a moment and I got on my hands & knees to start picking up the crackers.

Curiosity got to me and as I peaked under the L/T floor, the Pine Marten scurried out and grabbed a cracker and scurried back. This went on for about 1 minute or so - each of of scrambing to pick up crackers - the Pine Marten must have picked up 30 or so byt the time it was cleaned up
    (Oh....he got the Lipton egg noodles that spilled from my mug as well)
    Last edited by Rick; 02-28-2005 at 03:11 PM.
    Rick

Lake Colden is a particularly good place. I have seen them between the two Beaver Point leantos on multiple occations. There is a cable system somewhere nearby where they like to lurk. Bring trail mix!

-percious

We had lunch at Lake Tear a couple of winters ago. Just before ascending Gray, we were visited by a fairly bold Pine Marten. He made no bones about the fact that he wanted our lunch. Cute little devils!
    Dick

Sitting on the privy at the Flowed Lands lean-to recently I was entertained by a Pine Marten circling the lean-to, undoubtedly looking for the best access to our food. We stayed at that lean-to for three nights and he visited every day(and probaby every night also)

We were invaded by the Pine Martens at Times Square several years ago. There was four of them. Just wandering around, begging for food.

Quote Originally Posted by adkayaker
    I'd love an opportunity to photograph a pine marten. Are there any Adk campsite/leanto/other places that might be fairly reliable to find them, without actually baiting them?

Thanks
    I think just by showing up at those places we or at least our pack contents are the bait.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!

Pine Martens

There was one on the summit of Armstrong back in January. Probably a moocher.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Feldspar lean-to worked for us. Almost didn't hang my food after lunch until I saw one darting in and out of the trees!

-Shayne

I second the uphill brook lean-to. He (or she) is a bold little bugger, and quite large. We saw one on the summit of allen a few weeks ago.
    Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul-----...adk46er #5380W