Gate on road to Boundary Peak CN side

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
I am up in Maine doing a few NEHH this week. (posting from Stratton public library) I drove up to Canada from RI this morning and found that there is a large gate blocking access to the end of Rang-tout-de-joie so that i could not do my planned hike to Boundary Peak. Is this new or is it like Berlin where it opens for hikers during certian hours. (I was there very early before 7am). It was padlocked and signs said Private Property. Actually they said " PROPRIETE PRIVEE - DEFENSE DE PASSER". The gate looks fairley new so I'm thinking this is a new thing, or am I just in the dark about something? I ended up doing SNOW - Chain of ponds today. Nice hike but now views due to overcast

Last edited:
I also went in from ZEC Louise Gosford. I think you went too far on Rang-tout-de-joie. The map at http://www.montgosford.com/images/carte-detaillee-mont-gosford.pdf shows the southern portion of the road as a dashed line labeled private and shows also the gate you're encountering. Back in Woburn, when you turned off Rte 212 onto that road at big Gosford sign, you should only have gone 3.8 miles to the park gate house.

Thanks, think your both right. Stupid me relied on Google maps for directions to the "trailhead" coordinates. Shouldn't they know that road is private. My car garmin was no better it directed me the same way. I will try tomorrow. I'm parked outside the Stratton library using their wifi for my wife's iPad. I'll see if I can find the route. BTW I did n.kennebago,white cap, and snow-cup today, great hikes. Great day up here. 4 left in maine

Still not having any luck. The link to the map would be good if I knew French, but I still can't figure out how to drive to the start of the track I have. All I need is to figure out how to drive to 45.25824 -70.86520. Maybe someone can help me before I finish my pizza at white wolf and lose wifi

From we dd this 10 years ago

Directions to the trailhead: From Stratton Maine, follow Rte 27 into Canada. Contiune on fr @ 3 miles into Woburn and take a left onto Rte 212. About 2 miels later take a left onto a dirt road with a sign at the end for "ZEC Louise Gosford". in 3.8 miles you will come to a guard house on the left. Here you will pay a $5 charge per car. From here, pass through the gate and follow the dirt road across a stop sign - pass the trailhead for the Gosford trail at 3.8 miles. Take that left fork at 6.3 miles and park at the gravel pit at 8.3 miles.

Stupid me relied on Google maps for directions to the "trailhead" coordinates. Shouldn't they know that road is private.
There are plenty of legitimate uses of private property. Also, you might be surprised at what passes for a road on Google Maps in the Catskills! :eek: :D

Those coordinates are within a margin of error of where we parked for Boundary and are off what the map calls Rang-tout-de-joie, and you should have passed the the welcome center on that road which appears to be at approximately 45.3278, -70.9017. From there I *think* you turn at the welcome center and drive "Chemin Clearweater" which rejoins Rang-tout-de-joie much further south, then there's a turnoff (clearly seen on GE) that takes you the last stretch to the parking area. But that was a lot of years ago and I can't promise.

EDIT:
Combining GE and my notes and B & G's directions, I think it all still correlates. Somewhere in the 4-5 mile range from the welcome center you merge back from CC into Rtdj. I then see the fork left at 6.3 miles. At 7.3 miles I believe you have to take a hard right to go the last mile to the gravel pit. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks all,. I finally figured it out and did this hike Friday morning (10/3). My problem was that I had printed out a Google map from Tim's 2012 trip report and I hadn’t zoomed in enough when I printed it so I missed the turn off from tout-de-joie to Gosford then rejoins tout-de-joie. Actually I don’t think that section is still called tout-de-joie. The Gosford park map has it as part of Ch. Clearwater. So you go through the gate keep on ch. Gosforth past Gosforth trailhead until it changes to ch. Clearwater then take a right on ch. Dela Grive to the end to a big graveled clearing then take the ATV trail up to the swath.
BTW: the park is closed to hikers during Quebec Moose season - NOW. I accidently and innocently slipped through the gate early Friday. I’ll post separate info about this.