Trails with Ladders

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
I'm working on a list of trails that have a substantial amount of ladders/metal rungs/wooden blocks.

Have I missed any?

• Maine - Beech Cliff Ladder Trail (Beech Cliffs, Acadia National Park)
  • Maine - Beehive Trail (The Beehive, Acadia National Park)
  • Maine - Ladder Trail (Dorr Mountain, Acadia National Park)
  • Maine - Precipice Trail (Champlain Mountain, Acadia National Park)
  • New Hampshire - Beaver Brook Trail (Mount Moosilauke, White Mountain National Forest)
  • New Hampshire - Boot Spurr Trail (Mount Washington, White Mountain National Forest)
  • New Hampshire - Hi-Cannon Trail (Cannon Mountain, White Mountain National Forest)
  • New Hampshire - Mount Morgan/Percival Loop (Mount Morgan/Mount Percival, White Mountain National Forest)
  • New Hampshire - Osseo Trail (Mount Flume, White Mountain National Forest)
  • New Hampshire - Six Husbands Trail (Mount Jefferson, White Mountain National Forest)
  • New Hampshire - Willey Range Trail (Mount Willey, White Mountain National Forest)
  • Vermont - Long Trail (Mount Mansfield, Green Mountain National Forest)

UPDATE = here is the final list > Trails with Ladders & Metal Rungs

- Roadtripper

Last edited:
Hi Greg,
For Maine, add the AT between Grafton Notch and East B Hill Road going up and over the Baldpate peaks. There are ladders on both sides of the main summit.

Regards,
Marty

Maine-the north side of Baldpate on the AT has a number of rungs. There are random ladders scattered from Goose Eye mountain on the AT in Maine all the way down to Mahoosuc Notch.

The west side of Moody Mtn on the AT in Maine has various steel rungs and ladders. I expect canines could easily bypass them and in some places I think most people do.

In addition to the Trails you listed in Acadia NP, the Jordan Cliffs Trail, on the east side of Penobscot Mtn. above Jordan Pond, also has a steep section with quite a few rungs:

Acadia%20-%20Jordan%20Cliffs%20and%20Sargent%20%289-19-13%29%20015-M.jpg

The Eyebrow Tr up Old Speck has metal rungs. The Wildcat Ridge Tr up from Pinkham Notch to E Peak has a few wooden steps.

I seem to remember a ladder on Twinway between Zeacliff and Guyot but it was a few years ago so maybe someone else can confirm or deny. Roadtripper, are you doing this at work?? Your secret is safe with me.

There used to be a ladder on Blueberry Ledge Trail, Mt Whiteface, NH. A decade ago I think there was still a metal rung or two to grab.

Some ladders on Israel Ridge, Mt Adams.

I do recall a very short "ladder" or two (more like wooden steps) on the twinway near the top of Zealand Mountain, where the trail is otherwise very gentle. I wouldn't call that a "substantial amount".

A few more ladders mentioned here:
http://www.trishalexsage.com/p/the-terrifying-twenty-five.html

I do recall a very short "ladder" or two (more like wooden steps) on the twinway near the top of Zealand Mountain, where the trail is otherwise very gentle. I wouldn't call that a "substantial amount".

Yes, one small wooden ladder (4-5 "rungs") not far above Zeacliff Pond. I was just there Saturday. It's not big enough to add to the list in my opinion as well.

Just for the record, Beaver Brook Trail is on Mt. Moosilauke.

The Loop Trail on Tumbledown Mtn. in Maine has some wrungs, one really a stretch to reach!

Been checking some trail descriptions on trails that have some ladders..Madison Gulf and Kenduskeag (from Shelburne Trail side) have small ladders not mentioned...Speck Pond Trail has one that is mentioned in the WMG...Peabody Brook Trail...

We might as well mention the one on the southern end of the Mt Eisenhower Loop. Most of these I would consider steps and not ladders.

We might as well mention the one on the southern end of the Mt Eisenhower Loop. Most of these I would consider steps and not ladders.

Ha. Yes, good one. This is like 3-4 steps. In the interest of completeness, this could be one of end of the list.

Khumbu Icefall.

And the Hunt Trail (AT) on Katahdin (Maine). There are a few metal rungs along the route that require a good pull.

Lambert Ridge going up Smarts Mtn. Arethusa Falls has some stairs too IIRC. Nothing compares to 6 Husbands though.

IIRC, Israel Ridge has some ladders between the Emerald Trail and Castle Ravine trail, but I didn't end of going that way so I've never personally done it. It was a mental note when I was looking at bailout options (ladders - fun!).

Edit: Oh, lookie here: http://www.hikethewhites.com/grayknob/ladder1.jpg

Also, I remember reading about the Sugarloaves - I think middle has/had a ladder.

Edit :And another member has a pic of this: http://dailey7779.blogspot.com/2012/10/middle-and-north-sugarloaf.html

Last edited: