Snow in the forecast for the whites this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
It may be hype from the weathermen but many forecasts call for accumulating snow on the summits and possible overnight on the local roads in the whites Saturday Night into Sunday. Time to bump up your gear in the pack and making sure you have the winter basics in your car. Also keep in mind that if there is snow on the roads that most folks have forgotten to drive in snow so even if you are careful others may not be.

Last edited:
I, for one, am not all that enthused about snow finally falling as it inevitably does. I begrudge the passing of every season but must admit, the lure of Florida's springs, rivers and estuaries looms large over freezing my ass off. The last time I felt that way I started planning for some kayaking in Florida ... and wound up backcountry skiing in Yellowstone instead ... go figure.

good covering up on the Wildcats today. had everything in my pack needed for this weather but hadn't remembered to put brush etc in my car yet :)

About 1/2-3/4" on Tripyramids yesterday. Made for some crazy slick footing descending on top of all the wet leaves and rocks, especially in the headwall of the ravine Pine Bend Trail descends into. Took me forever to get down it. I'd rather have a lot of snow or no snow. That in between stuff is too tricky.

My fiancée and I are thinking of tackling Eisenhower this weekend.

I have some uncomfortable mountaineering boots and crampons or my regular hiking boots which I was thinking of wearing with gaiters and buying new microspikes.

I'll probably be buying her new gaiters and microspikes.

Or showshoes...

What's the best recommendation for this time of year?

Take a ride down to mass and visit Pat and Audreys event. The local forecast is quite windy cold and potentially wet. Not a good combination

I have some uncomfortable mountaineering boots and crampons or my regular hiking boots which I was thinking of wearing with gaiters and buying new microspikes.

Or showshoes...

Life it too short for uncomfortable mountaineering boots!!! Buy some Sorel-like winter boots and put some machine screws into the sole... no micros needed

Or showshoes...

If your boots are Goretex and large enough to permit wearing heavy wool socks without being too tight I would say that would be sufficient for this time of year. If the boots are too tight with the heavy socks don't go that way as your feet will probably be too cold. As the weather gets colder you may feel you need some warmer boots.

A little of my back-story: most of my winter hiking has been in my trusty LL Bean snow claws. But they fell apart last winter (literally!). The new LL Bean is opening in Burlington and I'm hoping to bring them in and get a deal on replacements. I have some regular kamik tall snow boots that might work and bogs that are fantastic for jobsites and around home but will give me a hellacious set of heel blisters if I wear them for a hike.

I've already made reservations to spend the night tonight and the forecast is supposed to be cold and windy but otherwise beautiful so hiking tomorrow is happenin'. I really appreciate the invite and will try to remember to check in here next year and see if the scheduling works out for us to make it to that. There's a chance we've run into a few of you out there this year and surely, swapping stories would be informative and fun.