Place to Stay That r Open in Winter+ Early BRKFST

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendellator

Reaction score
I was reading a prior post about "Cheap sleeps in the whites" but i found it was from 2005. I called some of the places and they are either closed for season, closed for good. We are doing the Traverse in 3 weeks from Appalachia and would like to
support a local place hostle works, instead of a chain.
Also any suggestions for a good breakfast with good coffee thats open at 4 am.
Thanks
Wendell:D

4 AM breakfast is not something you are going to find nearby. The closest option for lodging is Hiker Paradise in Gorham. It is an AT hikers hostel generally open year round. Its an old apartment on the second floor of a motel. It has a kitchen and cooking utensils. The only option for breakfast would be Dunkin Donuts in Berlin which is about 10 to 15 minutes north (out of the way for Appalachia). The Irving gas station nearby has coffee and muffins. Hiker's Paradise is about 15 minutes to Appalachia on RT 2. My suggestion, bring some basic breakfast foods and eat at the hostel. There really are no chain hotels anywhere nearby so no problems with that.

There is only one motel that is open year round in Gorham these days, the Royalty. The Town and Country in Shelburne is also open but about 10 minutes in the wrong direction.

By the way, call in advance to nay business as the local tourist economy in the north country is in the fall "mud season" which lasts until the ski areas are open. Many place shut down for a few weeks and go on vacation.

The Libby house Inn may be open but I do not think the "Barn" hikers hostel is open in the winter as it literally is an unheated garage attached to the Inn.

The Mt Madison Inn is popular with hikers but I didn't list them as they have been closing for the winter the last few years. It does not have breakfast and is right across the street from the Hiker Paradise. If they are open its more of an established motel than hiker paradise which is furnished with what looks to be goodwill cast offs.

I spoke with Hikers Paradise and they are open, also they have a shuttle from Crawford Notch back, if anyone else is considering the Traverse in the winter.
Thanks for all the info.
Wendell

Hikers Paradise doesn't have a very good hygiene reputation...

Last winter we were looking for a cheap place to stay and we finally camped a few times at Barnes fields (for coffee, I suggest Starbuck VIA ;)). It is even cheaper than Hancock and more accessible than 4th Iron (walk-in).

Last edited:
Last winter we were looking for a cheap place to stay and we finally camped a few times at Barnes fields (for coffee, I suggest Starbuck VIA ;)). It is even cheaper than Hancock and more accessible than 4th Iron (walk-in).

Good suggestions!

Barnes Field is part of the Dolly Copp system near Pinkham Notch on Routes 16 (& 2, kinda).

Hancock Campground is at the Lincoln end of the Kancamagus Highway and, like its Blackberry counterpart on the eastern end, stays open and plowed in the winter. About as bare-bones as it can be, but you've got someplace to put your vehicle, a toilet, and a place to build a fire if you want. If you're staying there with snow on the ground, you can ski directly to Lincoln Woods from your campsite for an after-dinner constitutional. If you pay by check, you can prove its your money in the till when they come to inspect (yes, this happened, I had switched sites, having used a check kept the conversation pleasant).

4th Iron Campground is in Crawford Notch on Route 302 and, like many campgrounds, will tolerate walk-in traffic after the seasonal close, but is often unplowed (at least the times I've been by). It gives good access to the Willey/Webster stretch. I've walked in to the nearby Dry River Campground after its close but before significant snow (again, called first, no problem, maybe things have changed). If you must park outside a locked gate, I suggest seeing to it in a very binary way that your vehicle is all the way off the road. Not blocking the entrance itself is also good etiquette. Snow shovel, battery booster, extra cold-weather gear, cooler (for reverse insulation), winter tires, webbing for pulling a vehicle (and/or other people to push), all have proved helpful.

Patches Market near the intersection of routes 16 & 302 in Glen has early breakfast. It's on the south side of route 302 just west of the Ellis River. You can gas up there too. Call first to check for hours.

There's an Irving gas station just west of Fabyan's Station at the top of Crawford Notch.

Please report on how it goes!

At one point the McD in Gorham was opening at 5:00 for breakfast, about the earliest dining out option in the area. (No Denny's)

So someone suggested The Libby House B&B and Barn. I called and spoke with a nice man(Paul) who's the new owner. He informed me that we could stay in the Barn but he was in the process or reorganizing the establishment.
I think for food we ae just going to get a pie from Mr.Pizza? Great Breakfast along with coffee. I asked if he would do a shuttle from crawford path back to his place and he said sure.
Can't eat McD Pink slime thing kinda changed my mind
I called Patches they open at 5 am the only thing is they are 1 hour south of Gorham.But thatnks for the info
Wendell

Last edited:
Isn't there a Dunkin Donuts in Gorham that opens at 5? Like, right on main st in Gorham? Thats what DD website tells me. Coffee and a bagel sandwich, if that's what you're looking for.