Haunted Hikes of New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I would like that book. I know for sure the Crawford Path is haunted. Many times while soloing that route between Pierce and Monroe (only in winter) I have heard footsteps crunching behind me. When I stop walking the crunching stops as well. One time near Franklin in heavy clouds, I got so freaked out I almost bagged my hike!:eek:

I've had an unsettled feeling in the woods around Passaconaway on a few different occasions. I wonder about the Camp Rich area.

I read a legend about the ghost of a woman near the base of the mountain who searches for her no-good, cheatin', lyin' husband who left one day and never came back. She carries a lamp I think...in case you see her. :eek:

Has anyone had an spooky experiences hiking in Pawtuckaway? The cave by Devil's Den is a suspenseful but brief adventure, but I am more curious if anyone has heard or seen anything unusual. I work with a woman who swears that the area is heaunted by deceased Native Americans.

I enjoy these trails at any point during the day or night. I have encountered a bear and porcupine on separate occasions but nothing supernatural. One night I did hear the voice of either a woman or a child relatively in total darkness, but these are very popular trails so who knows. There is also a family that lives on the Round Pond Road side of the park that often takes to the trail later in the day, but this was well after dark. hmm....

Z :D

There is an incredible sense of energy between Fume and Liberty. Can't explain it but when I hit this stretch I feel like I am not alone. My senses seem to heighten and I feel really tuned in. I've hiked it countless times so it could be my own mind playing tricks on me. Curious to hear any similar experiences.

Has anyone had an spooky experiences hiking in Pawtuckaway? The cave by Devil's Den is a suspenseful but brief adventure, but I am more curious if anyone has heard or seen anything unusual. I work with a woman who swears that the area is heaunted by deceased Native Americans.

I've been hiking in Pawtuckaway for years- I've been on almost every trail and have hiked there during the day and at night- and I've never had any spooky experiences. Given the area's history, though, I could understand someone having a spooky experience there.

No mention of Doc Benton!?!

I was alone at the summit of Moosilauke last year for a few hours in the middle of the night and didn't see him, but I can't see I didn't get the chills once or twice. And sometimes when the weather's bad at that overlook into the ravine about halfway up the Benton Trail, you'd swear you hear that little girl scream...

Two or three times when coming down the Scaur Ridge trail I heard voices ahead of me and I kept expecting to see someone around the next turn but I never did see anyone and there were no signs of anyone walking ahead of us or out in the woods. I remember at the time it was something of an erie feeling.

Occasionally I think I hear people behind me, but when I turn around there isn't anyone. This has happened in many places. But the only time I had it happen repeatedly was the first time I hiked Cabot (and the Bulge and Horn). I kept thinking I was hearing someone coming up the trail behind me and kept looking. But I never saw a single person all day on the trails. 99% of the time I hike alone, so those noises don't get drowned out with people talking.

Occasionally I think I hear people behind me, but when I turn around there isn't anyone. This has happened in many places.
When I think I hear someone behind me, it generally turns out to be my pack creaking. The sound is generally synchronized to my stride (as are the forces on my pack...).

Doug

When I think I hear someone behind me, it generally turns out to be my pack creaking. The sound is generally synchronized to my stride (as are the forces on my pack...).

Doug

Doug cmon, believe it, forget science, your being followed by some entity, that has your number:eek:

The question is - what IS Doug's number???

Pi? e? Planck's Constant? Boltzmann's Constant? :D :D :D