Snot funny

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the keys to the "farmer blow" is that you have to use the back of your wrist as the nostril sealer. That's because the gloves you have on both hands are covered with dirt or mud. Important to bend the wrist so you don't, well, you can imagine it.

M.T. (drawing on his years of potato picking experience)

My best friend and I used to cycle together to the U. of Manitoba in the cold autumn mornings in Winnipeg. The farmer blow was a regular necessity and on one occasion my buddy turned his head, applied his thumb and expulsed a load of nasal contents right into the face of another cyclist.

Geez, thanks Seema for citing me as your snot-rocket Svengali. As my avatar shows, in winter I don't need to worry much about post SR clean up, that's what the beard is for.

carole said:
Keep this thread in mind when sharing gorp. :eek:

Yikes Carole! I didn't think of that during our lunch at Pogy Pond :(

I usually have to run the pants through an extra wash after a serious winter hike rife with snot rocketing. Damn, that stuff can sure make a mess of the front of ones pants if one's aim is not true! :D

I just realized that we need a new smilie for snot rockets. I mean,
sh!t...we've got "stick out tongue", "embarrassment" and "eek", so why not combine them into "thppttpttzzzwhewww" for a nice representation of our less than-completely-foul, often-needed habit. :p

DeadFred said:
I usually have to run the pants through an extra wash after a serious winter hike rife with snot rocketing. Damn, that stuff can sure make a mess of the front of ones pants if one's aim is not true! :D
Jeez, I just wear mine to work the next day.

:D

Dr. Wu

Best topic ever, haha. If you dont shoot snock rockets in winter..your not hiking when its either A) cold enough or B) your not exerting enough energy. In conclusion it is a great way to see how your winter hiking skills are. -Matt

One of my frequent hiking buddies tells me I'm being very "manly" when I do the snot rocket thing...
It's an indispensible tool on a bike, I just can't carry enough tissue - and then what would I do with it?? Also, it's irritating to blow all day.
Yeah sometimes I get some on me, but heck, it's my snot!
:p

Normally I'm fond of the needlessly-genteel-for-hiking handkerchief approach.

I've since discovered that winter hiking overwhelms my poor hankerchief. After reading this illuminating thread, I'm not sure if I should refine the art of booger ballistics or just break down and use the PackTowl. :rolleyes:

BTW - My coworkers think I'm nuts because I keep cracking up reading this subject.

Since we are sharing, let’s kick this thread into another gear. This past Friday I was hiking with Pedxing, Artex, and Skiracer. During the hike, the corn beef hash that Pedxing and I had for breakfast was causing some problems. As a result, I hung back hiking in the sweep position so as not to offend my compadres. How do you usually handle this situation? Give an audible warning? Blame it on your friend’s dog? Say nothing and ignore it? Pretend to fix your shoe/snowshoe/crampon/whatever? Do women act differently than men in this situation?

McRat,

I am one to carry MANY hankie/bandana's on every hike for various reasons.

I learned long ago that certain bodily functions (read: snot rocketing/farmer blowing) require MUCH more than a simple "Yankee Hankie" (credit to Toe Cozy for that one) and I have therefore mastered the art of SR.

This thread has prompted me to compile a reference compendium as a go-to resource for VFTT'ers on this most fascinating subject. :D ;)

Stay tuned...

Let's summarize for those arriving late -

Snot Rockets knocked one out of the park. Standing urination is on base with recurring flatulence at bat. Gender issues on deck.

I don't even wan't to imagine what inning it is, who might be winning, or why I felt the overpowering need to keep this thread alive with another post.

Please forgive me. :rolleyes:

---------------------------------
The three great questions
1) Where are we going?
2) Why are we going so fast?
3) Must we travel by handbasket?

"How do you usually handle this situation? Give an audible warning? Blame it on your friend’s dog? Say nothing and ignore it? Pretend to fix your shoe/snowshoe/crampon/whatever? Do women act differently than men in this situation?"

I usually just blame it on Sherpa. It works every time! ;)

McRat:

I’m not a baseball fan, so if you wouldn’t mind, could you give me a golf analogy.

Who can resist...

...joining in this fun?

All of the above functions need be performed far from fellow hikers for this reason:

There is a great risk of inadvertently producing an Airborn Toxic Event (hash-produced or otherwise) while blowing a Snot Rocket. This illustrates a perfect blending of the equations Force = Mass x Acceleration and "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". No sex is immune to this conjoining of forces. The good news is, it will most likely produce a blush flush that will warm even the chilliest of faces. Bad news: this will also start the vicious cycle all over again.