Madison via Daniel Webster Scout, Parapet, and Pine Link Trails - 11/8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Nov 8, 2014

Trail Conditions: We started by walking into Dolly Copp Campground to access the trailhead for the Daniel Webster Scout Trail. Great trail, nice variety, well blazed, easy to follow, no crossings, and no blowdowns. There was plenty of snow up high with drifts over a foot in places. The same is true of the Parapet Trail except the snow was even deeper at the west end of that trail. Last, was Pine Link Trail which was in the same conditions as the others, though had more snow on it than the DWST. There were a few blowdowns on this trail, but I removed them since it was simple to do so. Additionally, this trail seems to have more water/ice and mud than the others. I also touched a few others trails -- Osgood, Watson Path, Howker Ridge etc., and the conditions were the same.

Special Equipment Used: Trekking poles to help balance and to probe for holes in the snow. Gaiters would have been nice but not necessary. Microspikes or other traction is absolutely needed now.

Comments: I hiked this one Steff; she willing to help me with my surveying/red lining. Gorgeous day; better than forecast on all counts.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
North Conway NH