GPX for Pres Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendellator

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has gpx coordinates for the Traverse. I found some online but they seem kinda sketchy:eek:.I trust this forum much more then google.
Thanks
Wendell

If you have appropriate mapping software, it is trivial to select and save waypoints.

If you want USFS GPS tracks for most of the WMNF trails, see the following threads:

For info see:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?38643-WMNF-GIS-trails-data-GPX

For the new location of the trail track files see:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?52139-GPS-tracks-for-NH-4K

In either case, I recommend that you include waypoints/tracks for the escape routes as well as the primary route of interest.

Doug

Thanks i have a laminated copy from Chauvin Guides including escape routes, my gps is an older garmin. I just wanted to have a backup in addition to my maps.
Wendell

Thank you for all the info. I have a copy of the Chauving Guide route but when i add the mileage it comes to 16.9. I was under the impression the traverse is 20 miles. Could anyone clarify.
Thanks
Wendell

Chauvin guide route is a point to point navigation guide, skipping most (or all) of the summits. It's a plan to get you from point A to point B via a series of straight lines. Keeping to trails and specifically taking the loop trails to get to the summits will add to the mileage, typically more like 22 miles, depending on how your specific route goes.

Oh well i guess mine will be 22 miles, No point in doing it if you are going to skip the peaks. Just my thought

The Chauvin Guide waypoints are extremely useful if all hell is breaking loose and you need to get to your nearest bailout ASAP. But yeah, I don't know anyone who sets out on a Presi-traverse with the intention of skipping all of the peaks.

"I don't know anyone who sets out on a Presi-traverse with the intention of skipping all of the peaks." Now you do. I do a "presi lite" most summers. Start in Randolph end at Crawford and skip the summits. Cut way down on the crowds. 95% of the views with less effort. I also do full traverses. The presi lite is nice on windy day as the exposure is somewhat lower.

We stayed in LOC and Madison and the only two my 53 (at the time, now my age) year old Mom hit was Pierce & Madison because we were going from Madison Hut to Pinkham on the last day & she wanted to do Mizpah Cut-off on day one.

Mile is based on whether you do Jackson (named for a cartographer not the President) or not, if you go down past Mizpah Hut, the loops and how you get to Madison. (most go north to south) The shortest distance is up Valley Way & Watson Path. The Cairns on Watson Path are small and not easy to follow and the footpath isn't clear. (I did it on a perfect summer day) Most go up Valley Way, leave their pack at the hut & go up Madison then come back and retrieve their packs.

From Madison Hut, Star Lake trail may be the shortest route but it's the steepest too. The more common route is the Gulfside and then pick up the Airline's upper section to the summit of Adams.

"I don't know anyone who sets out on a Presi-traverse with the intention of skipping all of the peaks." Now you do. I do a "presi lite" most summers.
Many yeras ago the NH Chapter of the AMC advertised a "Vice-Presidential Traverse", promoted tongue in cheek as detox for peakbagging addicts.

I am pretty sure that the leader was someone I knew, but cannot recall who ... effect of age on memory :(

Oh well i guess mine will be 22 miles, No point in doing it if you are going to skip the peaks. Just my thought

The length of the classic route from Appalachia to the Crawford Path lot, including Clay, Franklin and the Pierce summit, is 20.3 miles, with 8600' of elevation gain.