Overboots...Opinions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
Just wondering what experiences/preferences people had with overboots? I do my winter hiking (generally at the fairly low altitudes here in the Northeast with some higher altitude stuff and plans to do even more 14,000+) in double plastic mountaineering boots and use the Stubai "ulta-light universal" 12-point crampons. I'm wondering about the versatility of overboots with this setup? Are they worth the added weight and management difficulties?

A disadvantage of overboots is that they have a smooth sole and are generally used with crampons or snowshoes. Another option is the [insulated] super gaiter--same as the overboot except no bottom so that the boot's sole is exposed and are therefore not as warm. Some super gaiters have a wire which tightens around the welt of the boot. (Some mechanism for tightening the super gaiter around the welt of the boot is required.)

Doug

Overboots can be a pain in the a$$ when dealing with crampons (unless they are the complete strap on variety). As Kevin mentioned, they are only needed for the "extreme cold environments", and though we have some of that weather here in the east, I have only used mine in Alaska.

For mountains like Rainier in the spring or summer, I wouldn't bother with overboots, as already suggested, supergaiters (or even just double plastic boots) are suffice...

Have fun on your trip :)

I own NEOS overboots

I purchased the over boots thinking I would use them on hikes when the temps would dive way down. I also thought they would be useful in camp with booties. I quickly figured out after using them on some test hikes that they would not be useful. I now use them to shovel the drive way and walk through snow filled parking lots. They work great for that, just not in the backcountry. I found the soles to be not boot like (or kinda smooth and soft), I don't know of a crampon that would fit over those things, and the added wieght just wasn't worth it. I was thinking about maybe trying them again, but I don't know.