March 5 - Hancocks & March 6 - Osceola's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
Saturday we are planning on hiking the Hancocks, meeting at the trailhead at 8 AM.

Sunday we are planning on hiking the Osceola's meeting at the Greeley Ponds trailhead (Kanc end) at 8 AM. Sherpa John, Sherpette, and one or two others will be joining us. Here is your chance to meet the man who is behind the Movie "48", and the woman behind his success, and perhaps through a snowball or two at him :rolleyes:

If you are interested in joining us for either day, email us so we can be sure to keep you updated of any change in plans.

Hats

Bob... I have a VERY special hat for you this weekend! :eek:

I knew there had to be a reason I baked cookies while being snowed in yesterday.

Alas, Saturday is booked with chores. I'd be interested in the Osceolas on Sunday.

May the four-legged Dugan join in? Or should I just send him without me?!

Dugan

The 4 legged Dugan is welcome as are you :> Sherpa John said he is bringing a rope just in case it is needed for the one bad spot known as the Chimney. The 4 legged dugan may need some help here, but I know dogs have done this hike including Brutus who I believe did it last weekend. You may want to contact "Kevin Rooney" via this site to ask his thoughts on the best way to get past this spot.

There is a trip report from last weekend that the hike can be done with bareboots, so I expect he should be fine.

Last edited:
The chimney is 15 feet or so of vertical. An easy hands-definitely-required scramble in the summer. Don't think I'd care to do it in the winter. Can't imagine any dog being able to do it. (Let me know if I'm wrong.) However, there is a (rough) bypass (to the right as you come up from below) that everyone should be able to manage.

I can't imagine a dog being able to do the chimney either but the go-around I think s/he should be able to do. Maybe with a little to no help.

My $.02
Keith

Chimney

Tough, but "15 feet or so of vertical" is a little exageration. here it is in November:

aaq.sized.jpg

Note the bifurcated yellow blaze points you to an easier route to the right.

It was the go-around that I was thinking about. We did this hike last year in March. It was all ice, but the go-around was all snow still and much easier.

Pasted below is the trail conditions report from Kevin . . . looks as though they had a harness for Brutus for the chimney . . . when I hiked it a couple of weeks ago I went around to the right, MUCH easier.

sli74

Trail: Osceolas from the Kanc
Date Hiked: 2/24/05

Conditions: Trail very well-packed from trailhead to junction heading over to Greeley Ponds; well-packed after heading up the steeps. 5 or 6" fresh snow over a packed base up high.

Special Required Equipment: Snowshoes, poles. And a climbing harness and rope for Brutus in the the chimney.

Comments: Beautiful day to be in the woods - cold, clear & crisp with little or no winds. The trail to these peaks is in excellent shape - good time to do them.

Mr B. now has 7 peaks left ...

Submitted by: Kevin, Brutus & Friends

Osceolas?

I might be up for that hike, depends on whether I can get Mrs. Robo put back together by then.
I drive a Mars Rover, if you see it in the parking lot,it's me.

Thanks for all the advice. I was planning on the go 'round for Dugan. Over the years I've had a few dogs through the chimney. All made it without undue trouble. But then again, it wasn't winter.

stuff

Dugan: I also heard Brutus had a harness. Not sure if the go around will be manageable for ole dugan? At least you'd get one peak in if not passable. :D

Robohiker: We'd love to have you join us... so long as you can put up with the annoying Sherpa J ;) I'm up for an a-hole or two.. bobs coming so we all ready have one. :p Seriously.. would love for you to come.

Bob: Hot Dog or Crown?

A-hole??

Robohiker: We'd love to have you join us... so long as you can put up with the annoying Sherpa J I'm up for an a-hole or two.. bobs coming so we all ready have one. Seriously.. would love for you to come.
Call your friends whatever you like, if you think Bob makes 1, A-Hole fine,but,you should not exclude yourself. :eek: :p ;)

Sherpa John said:
Dugan: I also heard Brutus had a harness. Not sure if the go around will be manageable for ole dugan? At least you'd get one peak in if not passable. :D

Robohiker: We'd love to have you join us... so long as you can put up with the annoying Sherpa J ;) I'm up for an a-hole or two.. bobs coming so we all ready have one. :p Seriously.. would love for you to come.

Bob: Hot Dog or Crown?

SJ - your one sick puppy :rolleyes: Just remember that you want to make a good impression on everyone so they don't toss you into Greeley Pond so you can swim with the leeches - wouldn’t want them to get hurt.

A hot dog in honor of Dugan !

I won't exclude myself... I'll bring my crown.. cause I'm THE KING A-Hole! :eek:

:D

Could I join in on this fun? I did the Osceolas in October, but from the Waterville Valley side, and we camped between the 2 peaks. Is it still barebootable I wonder, I have not purchased snowshoes yet, but I could rent or beg or borrow some if you think they are essential.

SURE! Come along!

8am Greely Pond Trailhead on the kanc

You'll NEED snowshoes. No reports of the trail being broke out since this last storm dumped a foot in the area.

SJ :eek:

Okay, I will try to borrow some. Any other advice for the trail from this side? Crampons, for instance? Extra dog cookies to make fuzzy friends? Home baked goodies to make human friends? I have not done a hike with anyone from VFTT yet, but looking forward to it.