Is York Pond Road Drivable?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaner

Reaction score
Thanks once again. I never would have thought of hiking Cabot from the east side. I hiked it a couple of summers ago via Unknown Pond and Kilkenny Ridge. The Horn was very nice. Can I drive in to the York Pond trailhead in winter or do I need a snowmobile?

Last edited:
beaner said:
Can I drive in to the York Pond trailhead in winter or do I need a snowmobile?

Pretty sure that the road is plowed all the way to the trailhead. But to be sure - give them a call:

Berlin Fish Hatchery
(603) 449-3412

Address:

York Pond Rd
Berlin, NH 03570

The road to the fish hatchery is always plowed as there are several homes nearby. The gate to the hatchery isn't usually closed during the winter,but check in with the folks at the hatchery if you will be returning after 4pm.
They generally plow the road well past the Bunnell Notch trailhead,and clear a couple of spaces at the trailhead as well.
You can call the number B&G provided if you have any other questions.

I called the Hatchery before our trip back in January and spoke with a very nice gentleman who informed me that they were obligated to plow the road and that they now leave the gate open in winter because it just makes life easier for the plow trucks :)

The roads are not treated in any way so they can be a little icy and caution is required but they, and the trail head lots should be clear.

With the road not being locked (official open times are 8am to 4pm I believe) you don't have to worry about being late out. Just to be sure, and as a courtesy, you might want to call the Fish Hatchery before your trip.

603-449-3412

Bob