Sharpening Snowshoe Crampons?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmattd

Reaction score
So this might seem a little crazy to some, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience sharpening their snowshoe crampons, particularly the MSR Lightning Ascent style crampons. I noticed towards the latter part of last winter that I was no longer getting the traction I recalled originally getting on the hard snow, and noticed that the siderail crampons on my Lightnings are really beat up. The larger teeth are rounded over heavily while the smaller teeth are almost completely gone. The cross-rail crampons are worn pretty good too. I've beat them up pretty hard especially the last 2 winters (I've had them for 3 winters but hardly used them in the 2011/2012 winter season), and I'm sure walking on a lot of bare rock hasn't done them any good. But I was wondering how viable it might be to take a hand file to them and tune up the crampons some? I do this every fall with my microspikes (and it's past time to do them again), but am I wasting my time trying on the Lightnings?

I've sharpened mine several times. A file will work, but a small angle grinder makes it much easier.

Bastard file is the way to go. Any power grinder is going to heat the metal to hot and thus weaken it's integrity.

I third the use of a bastard mill file. The heat from a power grinder can destroy the temper of the metal. (If you must use a power grinder, use only a water cooled unit.)

Crampons wear down and out. When the points become too short it is time to replace them (and whatever they may be attached to).

Doug

If you choose to utilize an angle grinder simply be careful not to heat the metal. If the metal does not change color then you are safe. If the color changes to a straw color; no big deal, let it air cool. If it does continue to change color, especially to blue, then you are possibly changing the hardness/temper of the metal. The worst thing you can do is to get the metal blue hot and then quench it in water.

The best way to keep it cool while using a power grinder is to keep the grinder moving and use a light touch

I third the use of a bastard mill file. The heat from a power grinder can destroy the temper of the metal. (If you must use a power grinder, use only a water cooled unit.)

Crampons wear down and out. When the points become too short it is time to replace them (and whatever they may be attached to).

Doug

+1 Caution with heat!

I use a dremel with a conical file and a little knife-sharpening guide. Works like a charm.

The Lightnings are aluminum. Very difficult to overheat and ruin the temper. On snowshoes with steel crampon rails this might be an issue.

Yes, the Lightning Ascents are aluminum, at least the side frames are. Grinding aluminum comes with its own set of challenges, but nothing I don't deal with frequently at work. Looks like this might be worth my time after all then.

Not sure what you have for metalworking skills. I also cut pieces of steel from old bindings, abrade the surfaces, and J-B Weld them to reinforce the two front crampon teeth. They break right at the rivet. I have broken six or seven since I got my Lightnings. MSR is good about replacement, but that doesn't help a lot when you're in the middle of a Winter Pemi loop.