Where, when, how to see moose in Vermont?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cristobal

Reaction score
Would appreciate any suggestions for hikes that might give me a chance to catch sight of a moose in Vermont, preferable northern. I'm considering a trip to Island Pond but open to other areas.

Its pretty rare to actually see moose in the woods. Most encounters are when you are driving along the roads usually around dawn to dusk. The Northeast Kingdom area is definitely the part of Vermont to go. YOur timing is also a bit off as the Moose tend to head into the deep woods this time of year.

I can't speak for VT since I've done little to no hiking there. But I'd assume it's the same NH. Your best bet is bushwhacking in birch, or any open woods. I've had dozens of encounters. On trail, I'd also assume it's like NH, pretty rare.

I've been up to a resort called Quimby Country a few times over the years. It's near the Averill Ponds and Forest Lake off Rt 114. It's pretty close to the Canadian border. Fifteen years ago, you could drive around that area and the moose would be practically standing on every corner -- very easy to view and photograph. The last time I visited, which was a couple years ago, locals were explaining how the winter tick had devastated the population, and they are now few and far between. That isn't to say they're gone, but you'd probably have to do a lot of hiking/driving back roads to have any success. Roughly a mile west of the Averill Ponds on 114 is Gaudette Road, which is a decent dirt road that goes south for many miles under power lines. It's a great road to spot moose. Good luck!

I read somewhere that there is a lot of moose along the stretch of Arlington-Stratton Road, around the Somerset Reseroir/stratton pond area.. I've never seen one there but Ive only been there a few times... In fact, I don't recall ever seeing a moose in VT, only, NH, ME, MT, AK

Jay

I've seen far more moose driving then hiking, but that being said I saw a moose in Little River State Park in Waterbury last year. We were hiking up the Cottonbrook trail, saw the tracks, and then just followed them. Got lucky and saw her down my the brook heading up the other side.

Have also come across a moose in the backcountry of Bolton Valley, but that was in the fall. When I was the volunteer keeper of the Emily Proctor shelter on the Long Trail. each spring as I hiked up the trail in the last of the snow, the trail was just covered in moose prints and droppings. They must of used the trail as their highway all winter.

A bull moose frequents the ridge line between Abraham and Ellen...

On Mt. Abraham this summer, I counted 41 distinct piles of moose droppings in the mile between Abe and Mt. Lincoln. Also, the first moose I have seen on the trail of a 4K was coming up the Jerusalem Trail on Mt. Ellen later in the summer.

Last two moose I've seen in Vermont were running across my lawn which just barely qualifies as being in the Northeast Kingdom. :D

I have only seen a handful in the 24+ years I lived in Vermont. I recall seeing one in Stowe in a field, another in a field in South Burlington hanging with the cows (this in the 1990's), a couple in different occasions along US 2 east of St Johnsbury in my way back from the whites. I recall tons of moose droppings & tracks on Belvidere mountain but never actually saw a moose there. My best Moose viewing days were during canoe trips in the spring (Algonquin Park in Canada and the Allagash in Maine). Also on my trips to Maine, especially driving back to Vt near dusk in spring time when there is still tons of salty water along the roads, I counted 13 one trip in Maine, northern NH, and I think 1 was in Vt along US 2 before St Johnsbury going west. Net: Moose are there in Vt, but if your objective is to see Moose your odds are better in NH and even better in Maine. When/where ? probably at dawn or dusk near a road side with salty water (common in spring), or on a canoe/kayak trip to a boggy lake/reservoir. I have read stories in the Burlington news on occasion where a moose wanders into Burlington. I have never seen one (or any evidence of one) in the Champlain Islands where I lived for 10 years, although neighbor claimed to have seen one there. They are rare to see when hiking, I have 2 theories. 1, the woods are so thick you can be 20 feet away and not know they are there. 2.) They fear a person on foot. I had frequent white tail deer in my back yard in the Champlain Islands. They would run away if I was out on foot even 100 feet away. But I could get within 20 feet or so on my lawn tractor without them flinching. Why ? I dunno, you'ld have to ask the deer. Maybe moose are wary of hikers much moreso then someone in a boat.

The Northeast Kingdom and especially the Island Pond area is going to be your best bet. If you're determined to see one while hiking, head off in any direction from there onto the public lands (like the Conte National Wildlife Refuge) and walk some of the old logging roads. But really you can stay in the climate controlled comfort of your automobile and just drive Route 105 or 114 at dawn or dusk in spring or fall.

And if you want a hike idea in that region (no idea if this gives you good odds for moose, but at least you're in the right vicinity) you could try Monadnock in Lemington, VT. Haven't hiked it myself but heard it is worth a trip.