Mount Cabot via York Pond, Bunnell Notch, and Kilkenny Ridge (28 November 2014)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Mount Cabot via York Pond, Bunnell Notch, and Kilkenny Ridge Trails (28 November 2014)

Trail Conditions: trails are in transition. I barebooted the first 3/4 mile or so in a partial snowshoe track covering 0-2 inches packed snow. When the depth increased, I switched to snowshoes for the climb to the ridge. Rock scraping, catching the deck, and uneven trail made for rough snowshoeing. I switched to microspikes at the ridge. With unconsolidated snow, these were not ideal either and were balling up terribly near the end. Quite frankly, any traction worked; none of them were ideal. Woods had 6-12 inches powder give or take. Crossings were easy enough but no bridges as of yet.

Special Equipment Required: see above for traction. With cold and wind a factor again, I had full winter gear with me. A long break at the Mount Cabot Trail junction left my fingers colder than I like. Gaiters were helpful with powder; poles helped with uneven terrain. Water bottles inside the pack or insulated at this point.

Comments: saw a very puffy downy woodpecker along the route that gave me a nice show on my side of the tree for a change. Always love to see a woodpecker. The summit signs are gone. The former sign on the tree near (but not on) the summit has been removed. The unofficial sign that was temporarily on the back of the true summit tree is also gone. The screw remains. The former sign was deceptive as many people likely ended their hike there even though it's technically not the top. Probably best to remove it. The cabin is the cabin. Packed out some trash. The gate was still wide open when I drove out at 6 PM. The roads were fine until the Bog Dam Road split coming in. I had a 4WD truck and wanted it. My car may have been fine but I expect I would have slid. Road was plowed but not scraped and still slick in upper sections. Saw a group of 4 on their way out as I was ascending. After 6 weeks of recovering from a bruised rib cage followed by a poorly timed recurrence of plantar fasciitis, it is good to be back, and my legs felt it! Plan to take the route of the old Mount Cabot Trail next time as I haven't done that route in many years.