Canister cozy.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
Since both of my stoves are canisters, and I will be using one in two weeks at Gray Knob, I was wondering if any of you resourceful types have come up with a canister cozy to help keep the fuel warm enough during the winter months. I usually just put my canister inside a down bootie and wrap it in my sleeping bag for the trip to the hut. I leave it in the sleeping bag until just before I need to light the stove. So far this has worked well.

I was just thinking of alternatives to the bootie/sleeping bag. Rather than go through the usual trial and error that normal accompanies doing something new, I thought I would give a shout to see if someone here has already come up with the perfect canister cozy. And if so, would they mind sharing.

I place a foam pad piece about 6" round and then place a chemical warmer on that and then place the fuel cannister on top of that, it seems to work well down to -10 degrees outside my tent. Give that a try. And have fun at Gray Knob, I still have fond memries from our trip up there last winter.

sli74

Thanks Seema. I'm going on the 18th if you are interested.

Last edited:
I did have a great solution-then Primus changed the diameter of their cannisters. They were a perfect fit in a Nalgene Koozie-3 cannisters.
Now,I just stick a cannister inside my jacket about a half hour before we camp.
Toss the cannister in your sleeping bag at night.

In the most recent edition of Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker (IV), on page 312, the editors discuss a home-made heat exchanger for cartridge stoves made of brass that transfers heat from the cooking flame back to the cannister. Even the authors admit though that ,with such a device, "you can blow yourself up in any of several ways." Just thought I'd mention it.

I’ve heard about using a brass or copper wire to heat the canister, but would rather not go that route. A simply cozy is all I’m looking for. I might head over to Home Depot and see what I can jury-rig. Hopefully I can make Rub Goldberg proud.

Looks like two diferent issues here. First,keeping the cannister warm enough to light. Second is keeping it warm enough to maintain pressure while cooking.
To keep a cannister warm while cooking-use a mouse pad to insulate it from the ground,and use a flexible windscreen that will fit fairly snugly around the pot you are cooking in. The heat will be driven down to warm the cannister. One caution to this. Check the cannister,and adjust the windscreen to allow some circulation,or the cannister may overheat!
Full cannisters light more easily,as the butane hasn't been burned off yet.
From my own experience,the Primus 4 Season Fuel lights easier than MSR,but the pressure is still a problem with a very cold cannister.
The other trick is to carry a thermos of hot water. Place the stove with cold cannister into a pan,and pour in the hot water. Heat up some more water,and refill the thermos.
Sometimes this seems more like art,than science! :D

I bought some insulation tape and wrapped the canister. It looks a tad odd, yet hopefully it will fend off the cold long enough to heat dinner. I will carry the canister in my down bootie and sleeping bag for the trip to the hut.