Short Hike.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendellator

Reaction score
It looks like the forecast is calling for crazy winds thurs the 4th. We were planning on starting the Presidential traverse then ,but with winds gusting to 100:eek: i am going to postpone till fri. Looks like NOAA has them down to 40-55. I am still going to be in the Whites , does anyone
have a nice 10 mile loop or linear they like doesn't have to be anything to crazy that i could bang out Thurs.
Thanks
Wen

Whiteface/Passaconaway via Blueberry ledge and descend Dicey's mill. Liberty/ Flume via Flume side ( tough) or an out and back via Liberty springs ( easy). Kinsman's via Mt. Kinsman trail.

Garfield exceeds your 10 mile distance due to the road walk, but nobody counts road walks, right?

There's also the Tripyramids via Pine Bend Brook. You can adjust the distance by deciding how many peaks to do.

You probably know this but the weather forecasts for the Presidentials are not very reliable this far out. You may want to remain flexible on your start date for the traverse if at all possible.

Other hikes of varying difficulty worth considering might be the Moat traverse, Chocorua, the Baldfaces, or Carter Dome/Mt Hight.

I was just preparing for the forecast to be correct and finding a backup plan. I read about the rescue on MT. Chocorua.Somethings in life just make you say "What were they thinking" or Not Thinking.

Mt. Moriah via Carter Moriah/Stony Brook trails or vice versa...if you are staying up north that would be very close to your trailhead for the next day and mileage right on...car spot helps on this on though

Thanks for the info, the forecast is calling for gusty winds thurs and fri of 100 with sustained 70mph.Then dying down to 40 on Sat. I am considering doing the 3 bonds as a loop from Lincoln woods it seems about 23 miles. If anyone has done this or has any beta,would you please post or pm me.
Thanks for the assistance.
Wendell

Last edited:
I am considering doing the 3 bonds as a loop from Lincoln woods it seems about 23 miles.
Bonds from Lincoln Woods is an out-and-back, no loop option (unless you count doing the whole Pemi loop.) It's pretty stiff in winter, although not as much as a Presi traverse, with lots of above-treeline exposure. I wouldn't recommend it as a backup for a day where you don't want to be above treeline.

Thanks for the info, the forecast is calling for gusty winds thurs and fri of 100 with sustained 70mph.Then dying down to 40 on Sat. I am considering doing the 3 bonds as a loop from Lincoln woods it seems about 23 miles. If anyone has done this or has any beta,would you please post or pm me.
Thanks for the assistance.
Wendell

Sounds like your getting your forecast from the MWO, Judging by those wind speeds. Me and my dog will be up there, if it is 100mph, maybe I should tie an anchor around Bud's neck, because we will hike.:eek: