Route suggestions for Doubletop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtq

Reaction score
I hope to summit Doubletop in the near future before this wonderful snow melts but am curious which route folks recommend. The Catskill 3500 club website suggests two different routes; from Seager in the north and Frost Valley YMCA camp in the south. I'm interested in starting from Seager along the Dry Brook, but that route is completely through private land.

Should I be concerned about traveling through the private property? If so, does anyone know who the owner/caretaker is and how to contact them? All information and other suggestions are most welcome.

Kurt

For both graham and doubletop, you can contact this person , who is the caretaker:

William J Scholl, Dry Brk Rd, Arkville, NY 12406, 845-586-4056

As far as route, I've only done Doubletop from the trail by Biscuit Brook from the trailhead on Slide Mtn Road (CR47). Take the trail up to the property border (yellow markers) and there is a sort of herd path following the border that leads you to the canister. However, it's infinitely easier to just take a bearing and follow that than to literally try to follow silly little yellow paint spotchs in the woods. Faster too. :)

If you actually start in Frost Valley property, you would have to obtain permission from them and there is a big fence that surrounds their property. It's holy, but there is a fence there. ;)

Jay

Just to expand on Jay's suggestions:

You should definitely phone Mr. Scholl as a courtesy. I called last week before doing Graham-it's seems that the main concern is safety, and that hikers understand everything is at their own risk, which we obviously do.

As for routes, 1st the Biscuit Brook one Jay mentions:

From the Biscuit Brook parking lot, follow the blue-marked Pine Hill-West Branch Trail north to a point about 1/2 mile south of Big Indian summit. The trail is headed west at this point, and it takes a sharp right (north). Go off trail continuing due west. You'll go over a little slope, then walk due west a bit until you come to the yellow and red (makes me think of mustard and catsup) paint blazes and posted signs. There is a herd path along these markers more or less all the way to the south nob of Doubletop. You'll descend maybe 250 feet into a col between Big Indian's shoulder and Doubletop. This route takes you past the plane wreck site a little before the summit, and it's some pretty steep climbing as well. I went this way in the fall, and remember using my poles a lot for climbing.

I just did the Seager route weekend before last. Harry Rampe (who knows the Catskills like the back of his hand) led a small group of us up a route which he said the landowner prefers hikers take:
Go about a mile in on the mostly flat, yellow-marked Seager Trail. It's a nice walk along lovely Dry Brook. Two of our party put on crampons early due to ice on this trail.You'll come to a small bridge over the brook, which is part of a woods road. There was a small earth-mover (steamshovel?) there when we were there. Begin climbing the (steep!) slope across from this area. You'll be headed pretty much due south (maybe a little SW) through open forest (hemlocks, if I remember correctly). Stay with this bearing and just head up. You'll go through one boulder field that's not terribly difficult to negotiate.
This route brings you more quickly to the north nob, where the canister is found. The posted signs should remain to your right (west) on the way up. If you run into the posted signs, correct back the other way a bit. Good luck, be careful, and please respect the property while on this great mountain. Enjoy!

Matt

I did the Big Indian (via Pine Hill-West Branch) over to Double Top hike a few weeks ago. It was a beautiful hike but a little challenging. There was a great deal of snow (DUH!) combined with some pretty steep sections and my black lab hiking buddy who needed some hands-on help at times. These factors all combined to make for a day that was more difficult than initially anticipated. But it was a good time! If you take this route just have plenty of water and snacks...as always...

TMax said:
I did the Big Indian (via Pine Hill-West Branch) over to Double Top hike a few weeks ago. It was a beautiful hike but a little challenging. There was a great deal of snow (DUH!) combined with some pretty steep sections and my black lab hiking buddy who needed some hands-on help at times. These factors all combined to make for a day that was more difficult than initially anticipated. But it was a good time! If you take this route just have plenty of water and snacks...as always...

The 3500 Club did Doubletop from Seager 2/26 (9 people), and we did it 2/27, (2 people). Even then, there were places where the trail was drifted or snowed in, but it was relatively easy going. But by now, things have changed! :)

Thanks

Thank you all for the info. It is much appreciated. I hope to get up to Doubletop this weekend.

Kurt