Lithium AAA's?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaner

Reaction score
I have looked for lithium AAA batteries in several stores without success. Does anybody know of a reliable source?

REI in Reading, MA had them last week (AAA E2 Energizers) when I was looking for AA's.

Now... If I can just find a Lithium 9V source I'll be a very happy guy.

beaner said:
I have looked for lithium AAA batteries in several stores without success. Does anybody know of a reliable source?
I recently bought a 4-pack of AAA lithium batteries from Walmart in the camera/cell phone section. They also had AA size.

beaner said:

I had a hard time finding them too. Finally found them in the Walmart electronics section. You can also order them from backpackinglight.com

-Shayne

beaner said:

The Target store in Concord, NH has them. I've seen them on the battery display in front of the registers several times in the last couple of months. (they're the Energizer variety) They have the AA's as well.

Lithium in the cold

I'm just back from 4 days snowshoeing & some snowmobiling at Dad's hunting camp near Lead Mtn, ME (Naraguagus River) last week. I decided to finally try a set of Lithiums in my Magellan gps. Using it each day for a few hrs, to this day it still shows battery level as peaked out. Its too bad these cost so darn much, cuz the're so far ahead of everything else it isn't funny!

I'll from now on keep using NiMH as my standard but keep a set of Lithiums as emergency backup.

Peter / Plymouth, MA

PeterM said:
Using it each day for a few hrs, to this day it still shows battery level as peaked out. Its too bad these cost so darn much, cuz the're so far ahead of everything else it isn't funny!

I'll from now on keep using NiMH as my standard but keep a set of Lithiums as emergency backup.

NiMH (1.2V) and Lithium batts (1.5V) have rectangular discharge curves, thus the voltage stays constant until the battery is almost exhausted. Alkalines (1.5V when full) have a tapering curve--thus the voltage decreases as the battery is discharged. My GPS (and many others) cuts out around 1V per cell.

Most GPSes just meaure the voltage to indicate the battery status. Works well for alkalines, poorly for NiMH/lithium.

Some GPSes allow one to set a battery type (the only thing this does is change the reading on the battery indicator). I just leave it set to alkaline and mentally apply the appropriate correction.

In any case, just use what ever batteries you have in the GPS until the GPS cuts out. And carry spares. All three battery technologies are reasonable choices for a GPS (medium drain device) and have similar lifetimes at room temp--just choose according to weight, cost, shelf life, temperature tolerance, etc.

Doug