Catskills 3/12 or 3/13?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catskillclimber

Reaction score
Hello all,
Anyone up for a Catskills hike on 3/12 or 3/13? I would be interested in any of the following:
Graham
Balsam Lake
Doubletop
Table/Peekamoose
Southwest Hunter/Hunter
Big Indian/Eagle
Kaaterskill High Peak
Vly
Halcott
Most of these are bushwacks which I have little experience with but am ready to take a crack at it anyway. Give me a shout if any of these sound good for that Saturday or Sunday.
Take care and keep warm,
CC

CC,

I'll almost definitely be up for something next weekend. I assume you're busy this weekend? Are the peaks you named all you have left of the 35?

Out of the peaks you named, I've done them all, but "need" (truly a ridiculous concept) the following as winters:

Peek/Table
SW Hunter
Big Indian/Eagle
KHP
Vly (also Bearpen)

This could change, depending on what (if anything) I do this weekend. Regardless, I certainly won't be doing all of those before 3/12-13.
We can make plans next week. Look forward to it.

Matt

Matt,
If you decide to head out this weekend I'll join you. I was going to attend a club hike but the theme is hiking history and from what I understand everyone is going to attempt to bring old gear (silk underwear, ancient snowshoes etc.) so I feel that my being there may mess up the vibe for people a bit so I can make other plans. I'm up for anything on the list, just let me know when and where. Regardless, I'll be heading out next weekend too.
Later,
CC

I'm going to try Balsam that sat. with help from a 3500 hiker, sounds like you've done these already, but if not i'd like more company.

CC-Sounds good. How about we make tentative plans for Eagle/Big Indian from the Seager Trail, starting around 9:30 on Saturday (3/5)? The only reason for the "tentative" is that my car sucks in snow. It's looking like that won't be an issue, but I'm keeping my eyes on the forecasts. I can confirm by Thurs. night or Fri. @ the latest. I'll pm my number as well. In the meantime, any of my recently-made friends (or anyone else) up for this?

Matt

PS Neither of these peaks has a marked trail to the summit, but the marked trail comes very close in both cases. Neither has views, but the whole area has a nice wild feel.

Last edited:
coldfeet,
There is a 3500 hike up Balsam this Saturday, the one I mentioned above. As I said, it will be hikers in traditional clothing talking about hiking history. I think some people on the 3500 club email list have the details.
CC

Matt,
Eagle/Big Indian sounds good. My little civic sucks in the snow too so hopefully the road won't be that bad. I'll meet you there. If anything changes just give a yell. Supposed to be a nice sunny day I think.
Later,
Ryan

Alright, 9:30 @ Seager trailhead it is then. I may start a separate post for this. Dry Brook Road shouldn't be too bad, especially for the first few miles south of Arkville. Towards the end it's one of those classic Catskills dead-end-at-a-trailhead situations that while almost definitely have some snow and/or ice. At least it isn't too hilly or curvy (like say, Slide Mt. Road). I always just take it real slow, and try not to use the brakes much. Hence the later start time.

Matt

Thx Matt, I know about that, had it circled a few weeks ago but can't go due to an important celebration..thx

I climbed Balsam Lake last weekend under a false impression that is one of the four required winter peaks. Balsam is the one I needed to climb (not Balsam Lake). Doh! There are too many mountains with Balsam in the name.

So, I have Balsam, Slide and Blackhead left to do before 3/21. I will probably climb Blackhead tomorrow afternoon. Weather looks good (mostly sunny, high near 32). Hopefully, I will climb the right mountain. :rolleyes:

There's another Balsam mountain too right across from Halcott's NE peak. It's a 3000ftr I think so it's not on the 3500 list.

Good on ya on the Balsam Lake climb, it's kind of nicer than the Balsam Climb, IMO anyway.

Make sure you make the left when you get to the col between Blackdome and Blackhead. :)

Jay

Where is Balsam mtn on my maps?..The catskill 3500 web site doesn't give any info on where it is..thx

Thx Matt, found it in a catskill day hike book, just came back from girl scout indoor rock climbing, little kids 3-4th grade, they had a blast.

I'm cxled on 3/12 to Balsam, 3rd grade girl's soccer at Nassau colesium, friends gave me the guilt trip, why did i even think about hiking? have fun, i'll be reading.

I'm sick of stressing over lists! I'm trowing out my "needed" 3500 peaks in favor of what would be fun to do before winter is over. I see some tentative Vly/Bearpen plans which I would be up for because it would be cool to hike with a group for a change (most of my hikes this winter were solo other than Algonquin). Others I was thinking of:
Sugarloaf-whatever winter route earned it the name "Suicide Mountain"
West Kill-this will finish off Matt so we'll have to hike up beer.
Any other fun winter suggestions for the Cats?

OK I am one of the list people Catskill 35 Winter
I have 9 more to go as my attempt of Fir after Bearpen Vly and Doubletop
was unsuccessful last Sunday
I plan on hiking WHP first thing tomorrow morning 6am start
Drive to KHP and hike with a 10am start plus or minus
Drive to Fir 3pm start ( unfortunately same as last week) and summit.

Trail conditions will alter this from the start if there is tough trail breaking to be done.
Any one around to do any of these?

PS I am going up next Friday and Saturday

Wittenberg and Cornell and then Halcott on Friday
Friday, BC and Rocky on Saturday
This will probably be the most difficult day with certain traibreaking Any takers on sharing this "day hike"
Al

Wow Al,
Your in for some intense hiking! I am probably going to take advantage of the broken train to Big Indian and Fir tomorrow because I've done WHP three times this winter already but I hope you enjoy your hike. Good luck on finishing up in the next week and a half. Sounds like you've got it planned out and are motivated to knock them out. Enjoy!
cc

Al,
I may want to help you break trail next Saturday. I'll post or PM later in the week to let you know.
cc