Post Holes vs. Snowshoe Tracks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Just in time for the holidays it's our annual bare-booters vs. snowshoers rant and rave thread.

I will be honest. I really just wanted to revive this brilliant anti-posthole video from Youtube. God bless the makers and whoever "posted" it here first. Genius.

BTW: Save the trail for someone else (two cents spent).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYivAQbYfoQ

Be well,

Z :D

Spot on, summitseeker. Absolutely brilliant! Now we know the origin of that saying about dead kittens and postholes. What more need be said, except that if you don't care about making yourself tired, then you can at least wear them for the next hiker.

I know who created the first video, but I will leave it to him to acknowledge credit.

Might that be the same Jeremy who saw the Iberdrola wind turbines on Tenney Mtn and called them the Spanish Imposition? Clever lad.

1-pc010120.jpgAll modes of travel are possible...keep your head up and yield IMO. Have fun out there.

It is my pleasure.

I am so glad to have brought this masterpiece back for those who have never seen it. It still makes me laugh every time.

Z:D

A year or two ago, I remember enjoying an amazing rant by a lady in the pro-post holing camp who declared that she thoroughly post holed some trail and was prOUD OF it, railing on about the vices of rich, snobby yuppie snowshoe owners.

For the life of me I can't figure out where I saw it -- but it's right up there with Adolph in noteworthiness and deserves a spot in this thread if anyone can find it.

Alex

A year or two ago, I remember enjoying an amazing rant by a lady in the pro-post holing camp who declared that she thoroughly post holed some trail and was prOUD OF it, railing on about the vices of rich, snobby yuppie snowshoe owners.

For the life of me I can't figure out where I saw it -- but it's right up there with Adolph in noteworthiness and deserves a spot in this thread if anyone can find it.

Alex

I started my Hiking carreer wearing wooden modified bearpaws ( still have them). Then came the Sherpa's with the full on crampon binding ( best snowshoes Ever made). Now, I'm in MSR's. Nowhere in my snowshoe carrer did anyone refer to me as a Yuppie. This woman like most who like postholing, suffer from a form of mental anguish, from the constant threat and ultimate plunging into the depths, walking through a minefield is both taxing and draining, physically and mentally.

This reminds me of a favorite rant of Thunderbear: those who insist on walking places and sleeping in tents, inerently elitist yuppie one-percenter activities, as contrasted with the salt-of-the-earth poor folk who have earned full hookups for their quarter-of-a-million dollar RVs. Most of the back issues are down (I hope the book's going well), but 289 is still up and the opening story has both an example of the rant, and regional relevance.

Alex

Hi Alex,

LOL! Well, you can't fix crazy.

The very logic boggles the mind. Considering the fact that Kahtoola Microspikes continue to rise in price I hardly see how those responsible enough to bring and wear snowshoes are part of the wealthiest upper end of the population. Most of the people I see post-holing are wearing some form of relatively expensive light traction. Hmm...Oh well.

If someone can scrape up enough money to buy a new pair of Kahtoolas I would venture so far as to say they could get a bottom rung pair of snowshoes. People like Raven and myself are still wearing the MSR Denalis we invested in nearly ten years ago. Yes, the all at once expense isn't cheap, but it is a very reasonable amount of money for each year of service.

I am no elitist, nor am I insensitive to the cost of quality snowshoes, but I have never heard anyone make the claim that snowshoes are a luxury accessory. I feel for those who cannot afford a good pair of snowshoes and, in all honesty I would not put my life in the hands (or shoes, lol) of a flimsy pair.

I just don't see any real logic between punching holes in the trail for the sake of spiting those who wear snowshoes. It would be great if people could donate their old snowshoes to people who were actually willing to wear them. I'm being completely serious. I would gladly help organize a collecting and distributing process, just as I recently completed a warm clothing drive in my community.

Anyways, I guess it is good to keep a sense of humor when discussing these divisive matters. ;)

Save the kittens,

Z :D

Last edited: