Post Holes vs. Snowshoe Tracks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get that, 100%. No one wants to carry extra weight if they do not need to. I would be curious how much energy is lost sinking into snow rather than walking over it.
I just wrote about this on ADKHPs a while ago. Let's assume we just got a snow dump of 18", and you sink down 12" every step with bare boots. So if you take 2,500 steps per mile, that's 2,500' per mile of extra 'elevation gain' work you are doing without the snowshoes, just to break even! :eek: So, yeah, that can add up pretty quickly!

I consider snowshoes safety gear. You bring a headlamp, but you hardly ever need it. Snowshoes are heavier, but they could be just as important.

I just wrote about this on ADKHPs
I consider snowshoes safety gear. You bring a headlamp, but you hardly ever need it. Snowshoes are heavier, but they could be just as important.
Totally agree. Yet only carrying them is one thing. Actually wearing them is another. I just scratch my head when I'm out and snowshoes are unquestionably way better for everyone than bare booting and I pass groups with them strapped to their back.

In order to please all factions this year, I will be wearing one snow shoe. I will switch feet at regular intervals.

I like the idea of bringing back this thread on annual basis. It's been years since seeing it and forgotten about it. A bit late for this winter, but then it might do some good if it inspires a small percentage of winter hikers to wear snow shoes who might not have otherwise. Perhaps someone can post link on popular Facebook hiking sites where it stands a chance to go viral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYivAQbYfoQ

Last edited:
With the new plastic types like my Tubbs flex alps which weight nothing compaired to older models I find them much easier to hike with then fighting soft snow or uneven pack from either postholers or re-breaking in a trail.