US public lands/wilderness expansion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
Surprised no thread on this yet. Several projects I've supported for a long time went through; here's the NPCA page on the park service bits, and the Wilderness Society on the designated Wilderness bits. This is a massive expansion.

The biggie is the transfer of the Valles Caldera Preserve to the Park Service. Apparently it won't officially be joined with Bandelier (and the whole thing will stay a Preserve), but hopefully this will improve access. I suspect it will still be managed out of BAND. It'll be interesting to see how the hunting changes; I never convinced my family to go for the elk lottery there while they had a chance at a resident permit.

Similarly, the folks at BAND will be busy with the Los Alamos section of Manhattan Project NHP. Also in the NHP list is Blackstone River Valley, which I presume will be created out of the current "national heritage corridor" (if I'm remembering that wording properly.)

And on the Wilderness side, the Columbine-Hondo is a gorgeous chunk of the Carson; there's definitely mining and development pressure in the area and this'll help preserve not only the area itself but give a little buffer to Wheeler.