"Wild" - Pacific Crest Trail movie

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

Reaction score
West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury,
Just saw this film tonight and enjoyed it. Found it an interesting, well-done exposition of a long-distance hike, of one hiker's particular story, extraordinary even among that rare group of people who undertake and complete hikes of over 1000 miles. Have you seen it? What do you think? I will chime in with more thoughts later.

I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book. I don't know if th film captures it, but to me it was a story of an inward journey and spmetimes difficult (emotionally) to read.

Hi Gremlin:

I've not yet read Cheryl Strayed's book, but I will buy and read it. I believe the film is faithful to her book's focus on her flight from and struggle through her demons. It does little or nothing to romanticizing long-distance hiking, as I saw it.

Maine Calling, on MPBN, had a discussion of the book on Dec 24 that I thought was really well done. I haven't read the book or seen the movie (neither really interest me, because I'm not into memoirs), but I think the discussion hit a lot of good points. My friend, Tom Jamrog, was one of the panelists on the show, which was pretty neat, too. I think you can stream a recording of the show on their website.

My favorite point was, after someone called in and complained that the book didn't talk enough about how beautiful the trail was, or the history of the places it goes through, one of the panelists said "it's not a travelogue, it's a memoir. It's advertised as a book about her inner journey, not about a national park. So if you're expecting a travelogue, read something else."

If it reads like Stutzmans "Walking Through". AT

I'll give it a pass. Personal inner journeys should be just that. Personal and inner.

I think that this is just my age speaking.

saw it on Christmas eve. I haven't read the book and the reason I saw it was honestly, because it was supposedly about the PCT. I thought the movie was good if you went into the movie knowing that the movie was more introspective than the actual journey on the PCT...

It was certainly miles better than that other movie about killing some dictator overseas... :p

Jay

I saw Wild last night. I thought it was good--it certainly made me want to get my gear together and do a bit of backpacking.

As is often the case, though, I thought the book was MUH better. Mainly because the book gives a much better sense of the passing of time--simply because it takes time to read a book, for one thing. The movie, condensed to less than 2 hours, was too rushed and jumbled to give the full space for introspection that is called for, I think. Anyway, kudos to Reese W--she did a great job and from what I gather she really did have to lug a real and heavy pack around...

Anyway, kudos to Reese W--she did a great job and from what I gather she really did have to lug a real and heavy pack around...
Apparently they gave Strayed a fair bit of input; the pack was originally "stuffed" but not heavy and she said "nope, looks wrong, going to have to put real weight in there." She also convinced quite a few people to go on a short hike the day of the premiere. There's a bit about the movie in the latest Backpacker.

Apparently they gave Strayed a fair bit of input; the pack was originally "stuffed" but not heavy and she said "nope, looks wrong, going to have to put real weight in there." She also convinced quite a few people to go on a short hike the day of the premiere. There's a bit about the movie in the latest Backpacker.

Yeah, I read an interview with Reese in which she says the director made her shoulder a 70 pound pack. (I wonder if she weighs more than 120). But then I saw a short (2 second) clip from the movie and was struck by how the pack looked huge but moved like it was full of styrofoam. I'll put it on my Netflix queue anyway.

Yeah, I read an interview with Reese in which she says the director made her shoulder a 70 pound pack. (I wonder if she weighs more than 120). But then I saw a short (2 second) clip from the movie and was struck by how the pack looked huge but moved like it was full of styrofoam. I'll put it on my Netflix queue anyway.

It seemed pretty clear she was carrying a real pack when watching the full film. One of many details I liked was that, as the film progressed, she progressed from weak and wobbly to strong and graceful with pack on back. The filmmakers had a good eye for such details, methought.

I convinced my local library to buy this book when it first came out, so when it came in, I got first read. I thought it was an ok story. The part that bothered me most was she skipped a sizable and awesome section of the trail due to heavy snowpack and it didnt seem to bother her, maybe it shouldnt have. I will see the movie only when it comes on my dish, I rarely go to the movies. The thing with movies for the general public, is you dont get the details alot of us would like because it would mean little to a city dweller. Thats why lectures given to hikers by hikers after trips is generally more informative. I'm acually not a Reese fan either, but then again, I cant even look at sandra Bullock and my bud's think I'm insane, ( maybe thier right).:eek:

I read the book (listened to the audio CD in my car that is) and saw the movie. I thought both were very good. First thing to mention in this thread, it is NOT a PCT story nor was it intended to be. The PCT is merely a back drop. I confess that was the hook that got me to buy the audio CD (I had hiked the JMT between Onion Valley and Mt Whitney a few years back), but Cheryl Strayed is a good writer and her story was compelling so I got hooked. I was disappointed that the story skipped the section of the PCT I was most interested in. As is the case with every novel I "read" and subsequently see the movie, it is almost impossible to get everything that happens in the book into a 2 hour movie. I saw Unbroken this weekend as well after hearing that audio book 2 years ago, I have the same observation. I thought Reese was goes in the Wild movie (as was Laura Dern, and the kid singing near the end), I saw the character, not her, which is the mark of a good actor/actress.