An interesting choice for winter clothing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm totally ok with people being naked but I just think that in this country, affected by puritan culture, when some try to do it it always seems so forced and ridiculous. I mean the hike naked idea, besides being and attention seeker, is just impractical and ridiculous in just about any season I could think of.

I have been thinking about what someone said in a previous thread essentially saying that in America we find the naked, human body sinful.

You're right when you say that this is influenced by Puritan culture and the fact that many of these long standing beliefs still permeate New England society. It wasn't too long ago that you could not purchase beer or alcohol on a Sunday.

This idea that our bodies are sinful goes way back to the concept of original sin. I have no problem with nudity but I would like to be the one who chooses how it is witnessed by my child (who has probably already seen me naked too many times to not need therapy ;))

Let the "Sword Swinger" have his fun, but he should be mindful of the comfort of others.

Z :D

i wouldnt be too scared of a nude hiker. i mean, you can see that they arent carrying any concealed weapons

I'm not really a prude, (really!) and have done plenty of skinny dipping over the years, but I do try to be a little bit discreet about it.

As a female hiker I have to say that I would be a bit put off, and maybe even intimidated, seeing a completely nude man on the trail. I know, bodies are beautiful etc etc, and I can appreciate the nude form in context.

But like it or not, many people would agree that there is something maybe a little aggressive, maybe a little sexual, maybe a little sexually aggressive, about letting it all hang out on the trail. I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't think it's a necessary sight for kids. Yes, they have seen nude bodies before, yes, the body is a beautiful thing but there is such a concept of "right time, right place," for nudity. IMO a heavily trafficked trail isn't the right place.

I'm not really a prude, (really!) and have done plenty of skinny dipping over the years, but I do try to be a little bit discreet about it.

As a female hiker I have to say that I would be a bit put off, and maybe even intimidated, seeing a completely nude man on the trail. I know, bodies are beautiful etc etc, and I can appreciate the nude form in context.

But like it or not, many people would agree that there is something maybe a little aggressive, maybe a little sexual, maybe a little sexually aggressive, about letting it all hang out on the trail. I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't think it's a necessary sight for kids. Yes, they have seen nude bodies before, yes, the body is a beautiful thing but there is such a concept of "right time, right place," for nudity. IMO a heavily trafficked trail isn't the right place.

Completely agree. Thank you for stating it better than I could have.

To me, it's just a matter of commen courtesy. Ok, so you like to be nude, why do you have to go out and flaunt it when you know if you have half a brain, most people do not appreciate it? Find a nudist park, find some swingers, run around your country estate nude with your nudey friends. I enjoy firearms and shooting, but do you see me carrying a six gun and an AR strapped to my back? No , because firearms bother some people , so I keep it concealed and discrete out of respect for those I encounter. By the way any slight comparison to Rosa Parks and Nelson Mandela is not only a stretch, it's a leap across the Grand Canyon. If I see a naked guy coming at me way out in the backcountry, I might just ask him " Hey nudist, you feel lucky today? Well do you nudist?";)

Actually, I think that's the problem, his weapon's not concealed.

Oh I bet it was pretty well concealed!! "I was in the pool"

Tuck

To me, it's just a matter of commen courtesy. Ok, so you like to be nude, why do you have to go out and flaunt it when you know if you have half a brain, most people do not appreciate it? Find a nudist park, find some swingers, run around your country estate nude with your nudey friends. I enjoy firearms and shooting, but do you see me carrying a six gun and an AR strapped to my back? No , because firearms bother some people , so I keep it concealed and discrete out of respect for those I encounter.

This is dangerous reasoning, as it has frequently been applied to marginalized groups of people. There are still people that have these exact same thoughts towards gay people and immigrants. If there isn't anything wrong with an activity, then the issue is with the offended person. This is not to blame the offended person, but really point out that norms are perpetuated across generations and society, regardless of reason for having those 'norms'. Someone with those 'normal' beliefs might have adopted them without thinking critically (and thus could change their viewpoint).

Being offended by something doesn't grant someone any special rights. My impression is that taking offense is generally a result of making assumptions about someone's intent (and frequently combined with ignorance), which here might be along the lines of 'nudists are acting in an inherently sexual manner' (akin to 'postholers only care about themselves' mentality). It appears the OP was curious about the guys choice to go nude, but didn't indicate that he ask the gentleman about it, so we have to accept that we really don't know the intent (lost bet, fell in the brook and took it all off, hikes naked everywhere, sexual fetish, etc.).

Last edited:
Hi All,

People can become offended when they misinterpret an interaction or are unsure of a person's intent regarding a behavior. No, we don't know why this man was naked on the trail. period.

Luckily we are not required to legislate morality, personal boundaries, and self-expression. As mentioned in a previous thread, whether someone is okay with nude hiking or not, in NH it is illegal.

We can debate this tenet indefinitely but if this gentlemen strolled into the grocery store there is little doubt he would have been met with "stiff" opposition. Sorry, I couldn't help myself, too easy ;)

Happy New Year's Everyone,

Z :D

Well said TJ

This is dangerous reasoning, as it has frequently been applied to marginalized groups of people. There are still people that have these exact same thoughts towards gay people and immigrants. If there isn't anything wrong with an activity, then the issue is with the offended person. This is not to blame the offended person, but really point out that norms are perpetuated across generations and society, regardless of reason for having those 'norms'. Someone with those 'normal' beliefs might have adopted them without thinking critically (and thus could change their viewpoint).

Being offended by something doesn't grant you and special rights. My impression is that taking offense is generally a result of making assumptions about someone's intent (and frequently combined with ignorance), which here might be along the lines of 'nudists are acting in an inherently sexual manner' (akin to 'postholers only care about themselves' mentality). It appears the OP was curious about the guys choice to go nude, but didn't indicate that he ask the gentleman about it, so we have to accept that we really don't know the intent (lost bet, fell in the brook and took it all off, hikes naked everywhere, sexual fetish, etc.).

To me, it's just a matter of commen courtesy. Ok, so you like to be nude, why do you have to go out and flaunt it when you know if you have half a brain, most people do not appreciate it? Find a nudist park, find some swingers, run around your country estate nude with your nudey friends. I enjoy firearms and shooting, but do you see me carrying a six gun and an AR strapped to my back? No , because firearms bother some people , so I keep it concealed and discrete out of respect for those I encounter. By the way any slight comparison to Rosa Parks and Nelson Mandela is not only a stretch, it's a leap across the Grand Canyon. If I see a naked guy coming at me way out in the backcountry, I might just ask him " Hey nudist, you feel lucky today? Well do you nudist?";)

I was being a smartass with those comparisons to Mandela, etc. as well as the rest of the post pretty much. ;) Just having fun.

For my 2015 New Years resolution, I will start using various smilies to indicate sarcasm, satire, lampooning, etc. Mark Twain is probably flipping in his grave. ;)

Personally, I agree - I'd prefer naked people to enjoy nature more in private areas ( ;) ;) ) than on busy trails where children may be hiking and people uncomfortable.

To stir the pot even further - it's worth noting that nudity is illegal in NH only if it "will likely cause affront or alarm".

645:1 Indecent Exposure and Lewdness. –
I. A person is guilty of a misdemeanor if such person fornicates, exposes his or her genitals, or performs any other act of gross lewdness under circumstances which he or she should know will likely cause affront or alarm.

PS: Other federal laws may apply in the WMNF - haven't checked yet.

Forest Order 2008-024:

the following acts and omissions are
prohibited within the White Mountain National Forest located in Carroll, Coos and
Grafton Counties of New Hampshire, and Oxford County, Maine

Being publicly nude. (36 CFR 262.58(J)).

For my 2015 New Years resolution, I will start using various smilies to indicate sarcasm, satire, lampooning, etc.

A great idea! I am personally waiting for emotifonts to more easily allow people to convey their tone in forums. Until then, we really just have our emoticons to maintain civility. :)