M - M Trail From Mt Holyoke To Bare Mtn Trail Condition ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deematic

Reaction score
Looking to hike M_M trail from Mt holyoke to bare mtn. has anyone been out that way lately? Whats the trail look like lots of ice? Hardpack? Snow?
Thanks for your help folks :)

Haven't been there for about a month. At that time there was ice, packed snow, and frozen packed snow. I got by fine with just yaktrax.

Some stretches in that area get icy and stay icy all winter. Generally they can be gotten around or over if you're careful.

After the snow earlier this week, I would guess that you'll run into mainly snow and packed snow, along with the typically icy stretches. If I were headed out there I'd pack snowshoes and instep crampons.

Hey, Dugan, Ken C
Thanks for the feedback. Would say yak trax or crampons?

Last edited:
I am on the northern sections of the M - M trail weekly, say from Wendell SF to NH border. Snowshoes with traction might be helpful in some areas, yax or stabilicers may help in others. The recent snowfall has made traction better. I was able to bareboot most of the way.
Have fun.

I would opt for instep crampons. My yaktrax (pro version with the strap that goes over the top of the foot) tend to pop off the heel and/or toe if I sink in more than an inch or two. I'm guessing with the recent snow, you'd be sinking in a few inches.