Another Rescue between Jackson and Pierce 1/1/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ne...ows-streams/RDTdyUebq4LX6uqtaxOPoM/story.html

The conditions as discussed elsewhere were quite cold and windy, there are several spots where the trail takes a turn and its easy to walk off of it especially if hypothermia is kicking in. I expect they will tag it as negligent as there was a winter chill advisory in place and make the hiker a poster child for the rescue fee.

The Junction near the hut where Mizpah cut-off and the Webster cliff trail meet can be confusing if your not familiar with the area, more so in the winter.

my first time on that trail I took the wrong turn and headed towards Jackson. I have mistakenly thought I reached the fork from Crawford Path to Mizpah when in fact it was a fork that went to Jackson (left) and Mizpah trail (right). I realized my mistake after about 1/4 of a mile, I pulled out my map and realized the error. I simply decided to continue to Jackson but if someone were to be there late in the day in a winter it would prolong the hike by a few hours and it would potentially expose them to some windchills when traversing Jackson not to mention the slick and steep rock descent from Jackson

The Junction near the hut where Mizpah cut-off and the Webster cliff trail meet can be confusing if your not familiar with the area, more so in the winter.

According to the article, there was no rescue because the hiker walked out to the road "early" Friday morning. I assume that could mean anytime after midnight.

The main effect the NH policy on rescues has had on my hiking is that I have started using a much later time before asking anyone to report me missing.

I also now rely on a cell phone not primarily as a way to call in an emergency, but as a way to let someone know I am ok and not in need of the cavalry.

The main effect the NH policy on rescues has had on my hiking is that I have started using a much later time before asking anyone to report me missing.
Ironic, isn't it?

I read in a couple of other places that he followed streams out to 302, and the Berlin Sun (I think) said he walked out via the Dry River wilderness. If that's true, that really is...pretty freakin' impressive. That's a LOOOOOONG bushwhack at night in the cold (assuming he never actually found the newly constructed Dry River trail). Must have been some kind of motivated.

And since all of these posts have to have some commentary on the potential for getting charged... Well, the dude walked out on his own, was found in "good" condition and required no medical treatment at all. Hard to argue he was "unprepared" isn't it? Oh, and here's another case where the primary cause of "rescue" (extremely loosely defined) was inability to navigate.

Ironic, isn't it?

I read in a couple of other places that he followed streams out to 302, and the Berlin Sun (I think) said he walked out via the Dry River wilderness. If that's true, that really is...pretty freakin' impressive. That's a LOOOOOONG bushwhack at night in the cold (assuming he never actually found the newly constructed Dry River trail). Must have been some kind of motivated.

And since all of these posts have to have some commentary on the potential for getting charged... Well, the dude walked out on his own, was found in "good" condition and required no medical treatment at all. Hard to argue he was "unprepared" isn't it? Oh, and here's another case where the primary cause of "rescue" (extremely loosely defined) was inability to navigate.
Don't always believe what you read. Most of the folks reporting on these incidents probably could not find there way out of a paper bag let alone intelligently comment on hiking and rescues.

They were contacted for the rescue, no mention if he called or someone at home called. Was able to walk in the dark for hours following streams so he knew what to do and apparently had warm enough clothing, footwear and a light. I'm guessing they called from home and he'll need to tell home that they should give more time before calling.

What is a safe time to have your family call for a SAR in the winter for a day-trip? In winter, I've used 11:00 or Midnight depending on expecting weather and the hike. (Probably depends on ones experience also.) In that case, my wife would have called and the same result, I would have walked out assuming I had got lost in the same spot. (been there too many times in that spot)

They were contacted for the rescue, no mention if he called or someone at home called. Was able to walk in the dark for hours following streams so he knew what to do and apparently had warm enough clothing, footwear and a light. I'm guessing they called from home and he'll need to tell home that they should give more time before calling.

What is a safe time to have your family call for a SAR in the winter for a day-trip? In winter, I've used 11:00 or Midnight depending on expecting weather and the hike. (Probably depends on ones experience also.) In that case, my wife would have called and the same result, I would have walked out assuming I had got lost in the same spot. (been there too many times in that spot)

Not to start a debate, but I don't leave plans anymore, to much pressure and frankly, I do not want to deal with the politics of being rescued, I'll take my chances. When I DID leave plans, my instructions were to call for help at 8.00am the next morning. My thinking was this gave me enough time to navigate out at night and still avoid a rescue. Midnight is tight, what if your lost or off trail but know where your going? You just need time. Once I climbed Lions head, then descending Boot spur. I ran into unbroken snow the whole way. We lost the trail and had one of the most horrible nighttime bushwacking descents you could imagine. We got to Pinkhams at 300am or so. At least I had given myself enough time to phone home.

I lucked out on not having an unwanted winter rescue years ago. Me and a friend stayed at Zealand one night and then did an out and back from Bond to Zealand Hut and then out to back to 302. We told my friends wife that we would be back real late but she called fish and game around 8 PM. Luckily F&G called someone from RMC and he called AMC who called Zealand Hut via radio and asked if we had come through. The crew at the hut remembered us coming through on our way out and F&G called it off. We got out at 11PM.

I carry a PLB now.

Peakbagger, that may the best reason to carry a PLB, you can control calling for when you really need it. (of course those who push through a delay and have the gear and a longer than plan walk out never trigger it while those who use it at the first hardship or use it as a safety net for their folly, are the ones who use it and we hear about)

I hear you Sierra and when I'm solo, I'm not sure my wife would stay up that late anymore to wait. (My winter trips are normally designed to finish by 4:00 in December and January and a little later as it stays light longer. These days I am more often out with kids, (mine and other people's & the other's would consider CT State Parks rigorous) with that group, I'm usually not out more than three of four hours, tops. I think depending on the trip, the strength of the group or soloist, the experience of the group and knowledge of the area, one can set your time within expectations of yourself and your family. As I said, I think my wife is more comfortable with me being out. (okay, or she may not care, figured I'd go there before someone else did....:D)