Mount Hale via Hale Brook Trail (2 January 2015)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Trails: Hale Brook Trail and Zealand Road walk

Conditions: road was an ice rink under a few inches of fluffy powder. Hale Brook Trail was very icy down low, but otherwise a hard packed, if jagged, broken trail in spots. Very few potholes, most off the tread way.

Special equipment: in a rare move, I left the snowshoes in the car and carried only microspikes which I put on almost immediately on Zealand road and left on the rest of the day. This was the traction of choice. The only post holing occurred on stepping off the trail (which I repaired). It was cold out, so the usual cold weather gear was needed. 2 headlamps.

Comments: good day for an easy 9-10 miler. These conditions are all but obsolete already with tonight's impending storm, but at least for today, this is what it's like. Saw one other hiker on the trail, two on the summit who had come up the FW trail, and a group of youths headed toward the hut when I was on the road walk out. All hikers were fully clothed.