Cannon via Kinsman Ridge Trail (3 January 2015)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Kinsman Ridge Trail

Conditions: Trail was hard packed and bumpy in spots. Good solid snow the whole way, bot not enough base yet for a smooth snowhoe track. Maybe after tonight's storm. No blowdowns of note.

Equipment: I used crampons the entire way. Light traction would have worked too but I was happy to have the extra grip of crampons especially coming back down the trail. It was cold so the usual full winter clothing came out - parka over fleece jacket, puffy mittens, etc. Never used a face mask, but the air felt cold enough for one.

Comments: I met a couple that took a wrong turn heading back toward the tram. They had come all the way down the exposed section on the KRT below the rim trail junction and were into the scrubby patch. I told them to go back up and right. The woman did not look so happy. It was very cold and exposed at that point. Cloudy views from the top but this made for a nice black and white view of the Franconia Ridge. Snow conditions made for easy walking in crampons and this 4+ mile hike was a perfect one to get in before the storm comes.