Bought the Hike Safe Card

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Much as I dislike the approach, I skipped a post hike drink and meal and invested in one.

That now give me the right to complain about it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I did too. It's a small amount of $ relatively speaking and gives me a level of comfort, even with my huge pack of winter necessities (stove, bivy, tarp). Since I work for the State (not F&G) I felt it was my way of supporting their efforts. Curious about how much promoting they will do for it. Not many know it also covers kayaking, boating, any recreational activity.

Yeah. Me too. Mostly as a way to support the work.

This reminds me that I need to purchase my 2015 hunting/fishing liscense.:)

This reminds me that I need to purchase my 2015 hunting/fishing liscense.:)

I have bought a fishing license for the last 30 years or so. Usually, I buy it in April, when there is a chance the streams and ponds of Central/Northern NH will be fishable. With the introduction of the Hike Safe Card I plan to buy the license now, as I do a fair amount of winter hiking. For me it is a painless way to buy some protection.

I have bought a fishing license for the last 30 years or so. Usually, I buy it in April, when there is a chance the streams and ponds of Central/Northern NH will be fishable. With the introduction of the Hike Safe Card I plan to buy the license now, as I do a fair amount of winter hiking. For me it is a painless way to buy some protection.

Under the Hike Safe's FAQ section it does state the following:

Q:"Is there any other instance where I would be covered in the same way as if I bought the hike safe card? "
A"Yes. If a person has a current New Hampshire hunting or fishing license, current OHRV registration, current snowmobile registration, or current vessel (boat) registration, the person would receive the same benefits."

As an avid fisherman I noticed that it did not specify if this had to be a freshwater or the newer "N.H. Saltwater Recreational Fishing License". The saltwater recreation license is only $11 versus the NH resident freshwater license fee of $35. Assuming that this does indeed cover their criteria I think it is a deal.

Or one might feel that paying the full price is a good way to support the NHFG and all their efforts. I'm not being snarky, I mean it. :)

Z :D

I have a lifetime Hunting/Fishing License in NH. I wonder if I'm covered?

You could call them up for clarification, but I would say yes, you are covered by their terms of criteria.

As Krobi said "2 birds, one stone".

Be well,

Z

Been there (nhf&g), bought that. Since I don't fish or hunt, I just stuck with the HS card. I've been buying fishing licenses or making donations every year since my hiking calamity, where it took 30 people to extricate me. It was a pure accident, no foolishness.

A reminder for those who care to support the program, its time to buy a new one for 2016, or decide to start hunting, fishing, snowmobiling or ATVing (they all cover S&R)

I will purchase one. But I do not agree with the stealth funding. NHFG gets $10million from the Feds. I predict that rescue costs will increase, that the price of hike safe card will increase, and within 3-5 years NHFG (as well as CT DEP/NY DEC) will need drones to reduce the cost of SAR.