2014 beta on Railroad Road access to AT, Madrid, Maine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srhigham

Reaction score
Folks,

Any 2014 warm weather (not winter) beta on the conditions and approach to the AT using Railroad Road (aka Railroad Bed or Orbeton Stream), Madrid, Maine?

Thanks,

Steve H.

We used that access twice in summer 2014. Both times we were shuttled to the end of the Railroad Rd. using Banjum Rd. and some other back roads by Shane from Rangeley Farmhouse. The Farmhouse is new hostel opened just this summer and is open year-round; Shane is great and knows the route, might want to give him a call. The Railroad Rd./railroad bed is blocked off with large rocks, so that vehicles can not travel up it to the AT from Banjum Rd. or whatever the access road is (might be Potato Hill Rd.?). It is easy walking, on an uphill grade to the AT crossing, just a wide older road. There is one fork, I think closer the beginning than the AT, stay to the right, keeping Orbeton Stream on your left. If you cross the stream before getting on the AT, that's the wrong way. I don't think we even heard or saw the stream until on the AT proper. I don't recall it being any muddier or wetter or unusual in any way than a regular trail, in fact better than a regular trail as it was either railroad or road at one point. It is about a mile or so to the AT crossing. In that area, if you get to the old railroad bridge, you've walked past the AT crossing. We were in a group the first day, and the second day it was just my son and I and we had no trouble either day finding where the AT crossed it. Hope that helps!

Be aware that there was a new conservation easement purchased in the area. Generally that means that road access will be blocked at the new boundary. There is no issue with access, there just may be a longer walk.