Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best winter route for Moosilauke ?

Best winter route for Moosilauke ?

I’m hoping to do Mooselauke Wednesday (1/14/14) or Thursday. I’ve done her via Gorge Brook when the road was open but don’t want to do the winter road walk. I’m split between going from the Glencliff or Beaver Brook. Both seem to be about the same distance and elevation gain. I think both have had recent traffic. Any recommendations for which to take based on recent track conditions, crossings and exposure to wind. I think Beaver may be more shielded from predicted W/SW wind.
    Also, does anyone have a source for a GPS track for Beaver Brook approach? I have a Glencliff track. Both being on the AT (I believe), its no big deal though.
    Last edited by 1SlowHiker; 01-13-2015 at 07:54 AM.
    Marvin from RI,
    http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com
    48/48NH4K, 67/67NE4K, 100/100NEHH, 44/48 WNH4K

I don't have info on recent conditions, but I do recommend the Glencliff approach. It's mainly sheltered from the wind (until treeline of course), and it's just pretty and quiet and has a more isolated feel to it (at least in my opinion).
    New Hampshire 48 x 2

I like the Beaver Brook route. It is steep and can be icey. I carry crampons for the route, as micro's dont cut it for me on that steep section.

Quote Originally Posted by carla View Post
    pretty and quiet and has a more isolated feel to it (at least in my opinion).
    Both times I have hiked this route during the week I didn't see a single person. Did it this spring in the afternoon after working a half day. There are no real steep or hard sections this route and only one (really low) water "crossing" to worry about near the start. On a nice weather day, the view of the summit coming up the carriage road can be great.
    NH 4K's: 48/48, NHW48: 14/48, 52WAV: 15/52, NEHH: 86/100, NE67 (in one year): 67/67
    http://www.mount-monadnock.com
    My Hiking Blog

Quote Originally Posted by 1SlowHiker View Post
    Also, does anyone have a source for a GPS track for Beaver Brook approach?
    I finally found a beaver brook approach track on wiciloc. As someone recently mentioned it's search engine isn't the greatest. Searching Mooselauke only gave me the the Glencliff approach but searching "beaver brook" gave me the beaver brook approach.
    Marvin from RI,

I finally found a beaver brook approach track on wiciloc. As someone recently mentioned it's search engine isn't the greatest. Searching Mooselauke only gave me the the Glencliff approach but searching "beaver brook" gave me the beaver brook approach.
    I would have include the GPS track, but truth be told, I have never even held a GPS unit in my hand.

I love the Glencliff Trail, personally. The view from the talus field near the top is spectacular, and the ridge walk along Carriage Road is awesome. Glencliff tends to be broken out the whole way.

I’m split between going from the Glencliff or Beaver Brook.
    Both routes are lovely, and both are typically well packed by now and reasonably fast-moving -- someone went up Beaver Brook this past weekend, for instance.

Wind is not much of a factor on either route until above treeline and out in the open, and to honest, you'll get it coming or going either way, so there's that.

In the event that you don't find a GPS track for Beaver Brook and still want to head up that way, you can take comfort in knowing that the corridor is well maintained and obvious below treeline. Above treeline, the extra-large cairns are easy to spot/follow, even when covered with snow.

P.S. -- yes, both routes are part of the AT.

P.P.S. -- the road walk on Ravine Lodge Road moves pretty fast right now, so don't discount the Gorge Brook Trail approach completely. Plus, it gets great morning and afternoon sun, and some nice views of Moosilauke.
    Last edited by Barkingcat; 01-13-2015 at 09:44 AM.

Also, does anyone have a source for a GPS track for Beaver Brook approach?
    Marvin,

Beaver Brook, along with all the trails in the WMNF, should be available here:

http://trailsnh.com/GPS/WMNF-2008-trails-GPX-files.zip

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike on Monadnock's Red Spot Trail
    Another vote for Glencliff. Real nice trail. Plus Glencliff affords you the opportunity to bag South Peak easily. Great views from S Peak plus it's on the 100 highest list or one of those lists.
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery,
    Today is a gift, enjoy it!

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by kerry13 View Post
    Great views from S Peak plus it's on the 100 highest list or one of those lists.
    Trailwrights

Tim

Beaver Brook gets my nod. It can be a much tougher trail than expected in winter. Definitely crampon ready.

I also think the "Glencliff Trail" is the nicest.

I think its 5 to 2 for Glencliff and those favoring Beaver Brook mentioned steepness and ice. Since I haven't hiked in almost a month and haven't hiked a 4k since March, and... ate way too much over the holidays; I'm heading for Glencliff. I passed on S. Peak when I last did Mooselauke (snow but not "winter"), so maybe I'll tag her if I have any steam left on the way back and the skies are clear. Thanks all for the advice.
    Marvin from RI,

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Iím hoping to do Mooselauke Wednesday (1/14/14) or Thursday. Iíve done her via Gorge Brook when the road was open but donít want to do the winter road walk. Iím split between going from the Glencliff or Beaver Brook. Both seem to be about the same distance and elevation gain. I think both have had recent traffic. Any recommendations for which to take based on recent track conditions, crossings and exposure to wind. I think Beaver may be more shielded from predicted W/SW wind.
    Also, does anyone have a source for a GPS track for Beaver Brook approach? I have a Glencliff track. Both being on the AT (I believe), its no big deal though.
    You are a year behind.

I have done Asquam Ridge, Carriage Road, and Gorge Brook in winter. All were nice, but all have a long walk in/walkout. Glencliff gets to the point a lot faster, and Beaver Brook is nothing but the point. I would think Glencliff would be a nicer approach right now.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail